Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, November 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

I ended up having a Meyercord practice until like 10 PM. After dropping people off at their homes it was about 11 pm. That equated to not seeing any shows. I don't feel bad about missing music if I am playing music. Speaking of which, there are a bunch of shows tonight. I will miss some of them because I am playing music. Here are tonight's shows:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Sean Hayes (San Francisco) and Sean Flinn & The Royal We. It a double Sean night. Who will win in the Sean Vs. Sean match? Sadly that is not the way things will go down tonight. I am not sure exactly how a fighting match would work between two bands anyway. But pared down to the two front men, it is a fight I would love to see. Sean Hayes has this Wolverine look going for him, which makes him look kinda tough. Sean Flinn on the other hand has this thing called "going Silver Back" wherein he channels the energy of a wild silver back gorilla. It is insane. Any way the last time Sean Hayes came through town, Y La Bamba opened up at Mississippi Studios. This time around, The Royal We which features three of the Y La Bamba people (myself included) are doing the honors. Mr. Hayes has an easy going and very distinct voice that fits his folk rock sound. His fans love him. I know that when I first met Luz from Y La Bamba she tried to make me go see him. Sean Flinn is a bit harder to pin down. At the heart of his music I would say is a guy who loves pop music and likes to make up stories in song form. He has made a band's band pedal steel, piano, the tightest rhythm section in town, and two very good backing vocalists. You should check it out. This show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Little Teeth (San Francisco), The Ocean Floor, and Kusikia, and Herr Jazz (Olympia). I am not familiar with Little Teeth's weirdo pop. But both Lane and Shannon raved about them when I ashed them about this show. Lane and Shannon play in the Ocean Floor along with Holland Andrews (Like a Villain/Meyercord) and a stand up bass player whose name escapes me (I am sorry, I know I met you). They are great they play very lush and ridiculously well orchestrated folk pop. Remember how awesome Ah Holly Fam'ly used to sound? This is kinda like that with about half the members. Also I think that Clarinet and stand up bass are a great way to fill out a band. Kusikia are another amazing band. They are a dark band with really cool loud to quiet parts that manage to keep the age old formula fresh. Herr Jazz is a band from Olympia that makes really good high energy angular pop music. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Bunk Bar is having Aan and Light of Fire play a show. I am in love with the music of Aan. It is so good. Everything about it. The words, the melodies, the feel, everything. You must a some point check out this band. I have never heard of the Light of Fire. They are from here and very very slightly make me think of what it would be like if you bred a new band from Spoon and The Strokes and then dubbed a cassette tape of them. Which means they don't really sound like either of those bands, but they kinda do? I have no idea. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

The Alberta Rose Theatre is having a show with Nick Jaina and Grand Hallway. Nick Jaina is a song writing fool. That is what he does. You should totally come out to this one as I heard that he recently got his laptop computer and ipod and other stuff jacked at the end of his recent tour. Give the guy a break. Plus his music is really good. I have not seen Grand Hallway, but I like what I have heard of their baroque pop ensemble. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with The Golden Hours, Orca Team, and Charts. I have been meaning to see all three of these bands. Especially Orca Team and The Golden Hours. So of course they all play when they know I can't see them. Jerks. Why do they have to make music so catchy and good. Sigh. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at Mississippi Studios tonight please say "Hi". I am the back up singer with the beard.

-Ben


This is gonna happen at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: