Friday, November 12, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, November 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

Have I ever mentioned to you how poor I have become recently? I mean I am not too poor. My dollars are in the double digits (but barely). I can afford to attend to go to free shows, but find it difficult to afford to actually make it to and from the shows. Anyway this is temporary soon I will be back to my show going self. Here are the ones that look good to me tonight:

Alberta Rose is having a show with Bryan Free, The Dimes, and Pancake Breakfast. Bryan Free has been kicking around town for a long time. He is a piano man with a penchant for writing pop songs. The Dimes are a pop band too. Though, they also have folk pop leanings. Their latest album, The King Can Drink the Harbour Dry, has something to do with American History. The main band that caught my eye though, was Pancake Breakfast. This Mike Midlo lead group has really come into its own. I remember seeing them play for the first time at Mississippi Pizza. The band is nine people all of which contribute to passages of high energy group vocals. They have a great new self titled album out. This is what they said regarding said album, "Listen to this record all the way through. It’s a real album, with good songs … like in the old days. There are country songs, and folk songs, and rock songs, and every kind of song. But most of all, you’ll hear good stories about proud truckers and angry birds, magic cars and unfortunate fish." Interesting , no? The show is $12 and starts at 8 PM.


Laurelthirst is having a show with Michael Hurley. Michael Hurley is probably the best at what he does. What does he do? He writes and performs folk songs in a traditional way that is hard not to appreciate. He has influenced quite a few people. I read that Brian Mumford of Dragging an Ox Through Water listens to him. I read that Alela Diane is a fan (she had him sing on her last full length). He recently put out a record with Ida. This impresses me. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Velella Velella (Seattle), Dat'r. and The Bran Flakes (Seattle?). This show is a reminder that Hush Records puts out albums that are not pretty folk albums. Both Velella Velella and Dat'r have but out albums filled with electro funk music. Though, I tend to like Dat'r a bit more. Dat'r is a two piece that uses a bunch of looping software as well as creating a live video thing in addition to making the music. The Bran Flakes are a band that I would like to see. They are on the same label as Girl Talk. And like GT they create sample heavy pop music. Their website is pretty funny. Like what they said about their music, "All of our songs are love songs. Tender, bitter, joyous, sad — all love songs — and like all of the love songs ever written they seem no different then what one might hear while kissing that special loved one on that special night long long ago. You will be enchanted as you hear the strands of fiber caressing your electronics and pouring out layers of love. Let the music take you away to a gentle rain forest where nothing bites. Express your feelings. Let the music dry those tears away. It's okay for all of us to cry now and then. There's an emotion tucked away in every song for you. The Bran Flakes will be that big shoulder you need to let it all out." The show is $7 and starts at 10 PM.

Slabtown is having a show with Ports Will Call, The Friendly Skies, Gunfighter, and Age Sex Occupation. Ports Will Call is a relatively progressive rock band. But I am writing about the show because I like The Friendly Skies. They make live loop based music in the post rock vein. I like them. Especially Jason Drost's drumming. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". That would make my night.

-Ben


Dat'r will "sweep the frequencies across all races and creeds" tonight at Mississippi Studios tonight!

1 comment:

Ben Meyercord said...

Ahhh!!! I didn't remember to put this, but The Mean Jeans are playing at Burgerville at 6 PM. It's for charity!

http://endhits.portlandmercury.com/endhits/archives/2010/11/11/tonight-cheeseburger-punk-paradise-at-burgerville