Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ben Meyrcord's Live Music Picks

Hello Dear Readers,

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Last night I played at the Waypost. It was awesome. I ran into an old friend from high school. That was crazy. Also The Paddle Boat were crazy good. They kinda are comparable to Hosannas. But y'know different. They had a lot of cool dynamic shifts and cool two part harmonies. I recommend checking them out. Then Jennie Wayne played her set. Oh man it was beautiful. It was mostly just her and her guitar. All her songs are gentle yet she was able to captivate the whole place for her entire set. On a few songs she had the lovely vocals of Ezza Rose backing her up. I was so glad to be a part of that show. There are a few shows that look interesting tonight:

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Strange Holiday, People Under The Sun, and Seven Saturdays (LA). Strange Holiday is an amazing band. I honestly can't get enough of them. The way they combine an insane amount of reverb and and insane amount of pop sensibilities. Led by Alison Ables who sounds kinda like the lady from Broadcast. I love it. People Under the Stairs also reverb laden pop and I think Alison plays guitar in this band too. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with May Ling and DJ Sexy Cousin. May Ling is the super dance-centric offspring of the already danceable Reporter. I have only seen them once. It was in a hot a sweaty basement show. Valentine's is pretty small so I bet people will be able to make it hot and sweaty pretty easily. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Goodfoot is having a show with Palo Verde, Tyrants, Wizard Rifle, and Valkyrie Rodeo. Rock music is still around and much cooler than it used to be. The heaviness of Palo Verde can not be denied. The insanity of Tyrants punk music can not be denied. The riff rock of Wizard Rifle will not be denied. The sludgy hardcore that is Valkyrie Rodeo is undeniable. Viva la Rock. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". Greeting people is one of my hobbies.

-Ben


May Ling will be playing at Valentine's tonight. Sadly, I think the dragon will not be able to make it.

No comments: