Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, May 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

After a long day and spending almost$300 more than I wanted to yesterday (bass speakers are kinda spendy even when you get a good deal), I could not bring myself to go out. Also I knew that today is going to be a busy day for me. You can call me Busy Benny. Or Productive Peter. Crazy Carl? I have stopped making sense. Anyway I will pretty much be going non stop all day. There are some really great shows tonight. I would love to see them all. But for reasons I am about to reveal to you, the choice is easy for me. For you...it may be a little more difficult of a decision. Here are the shows:

The Waypost is having a show with The Paddle Boat (San Diego), Jenni Wayne, and Meyercord. Yeah, I 'm playing this show. I also think that it will be a good one. I just listened to The Paddle Boat. The dude in that band can sing. It has a whole lot more drums than I think Jennie Wayne or myself will have. Which is cool because you don't want to see the same set three times in a row. Jennie Wayne has a great voice and has been rumored to play with a cellist in live and recorded situations. I looking forward to finding out. You may know her from John Hearts Jackie. I am planning on playing completely acoustic with out any use of microphone or anything. I am really into that lately. Luckily my band mates play instruments that don't really require any amps. I have a stand up bass player and a clarinet play who adds her vocals as well. I am looking forward to this. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 7 PM.

Holocene is having The Rumble with The Ferocious Few (SF), Monarques, and 1776. This is mostly put on by Futures Sounds a pretty cool music website. All I am saying is that Monarques pretty much rule it. That is if you are into 50's inspired pop perfection. 1776 sound like they listened to a lot of classic rock. They sound more like 1976 than 1776. Fericious Few seem to make ferocious sounding rock with a bit of what might be some country twang. I liked what I heard. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Au Contraire, Boy & Bean, and Petoskey. I don't know much about these bands, but it is a free show. Au Contraire has Shelby Sifers who can write a hell of a song. Petokskey features many of the same people as Pigeons. I saw her play a couple of times. I liked it. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentines is having a show with Honeycomb (SF), Lindsay Clark, Alina Hardin, and Kacey Johansing (near SF). I saw Alina Hardin once and it was very pretty. So much so that I bought the CD that she was selling at the show. As well as the 10" she put out with her good friend Alela Diane. Another one of Alela's friends is Lindsay Clark. One time I played a show with her and it was so pretty that I bouoght a CD that she was selling at the show. Sounds familiar, no? Well they both make really quality folk tunes. I would suggest that you check this one out if you have have been lacking any folkness in your life. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

East End is having a show with O Bruxo, XDS, Nymph (NYC), and DJ Ben Bogart. I think XDS are pretty cool. I always thought they kinda had a deer hoof thing going for them. The otherday I was playing them in the car and a band mate was like, "is this Les Claypoole?" I was, "No!". But it was too late. I think I must admit their zany tunes do kinda sound like the former Primus front man's output. Whatevs. Its cool. The show is at 9 PM.

So most of the shows I have listed for tonight have been free, but if you feel like you want to throw down a lot of money to see a show, you can go to the Firehouse on Dekum for Rock'n'Roll Supper Club. The what what what club? I guess if one were to break it down, the club exists "To support youth enrolled in Impact Northwest’s Urban Opportunities Program, a jobs training and creation program for under supported high school aged youth." Tonight they have a special acoustic performance by The Dandy Warhols. It is for a good cause. The show is $85 and starts at 5:30 PM.

If you see me at The Waypost please say "Hi". I am the bearded guy with the guitar.

-Ben

Jennie Wayne will be playing at The Waypost tonight. I will be there. What about you?

No comments: