Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, May 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am not perfect. Yesterday I was all pumped about an Orca Team show. So pumped that I thought it was that day. So pumped that I thought it was a 7 PM. It is actually on Friday...at 9 PM. I am going to miss it because I will be out of town. Boo. Anyways, I ended up not seeing a show last night and inadvertently got enough sleep. Whoops. I got coffee anyway and here I am typing away to hopefully sway you into checking the Portland music scene. Here are the shows happening tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Starfucker, Wampire, and XDS. Starfucker (ex-PYRAMIDDD (ex-Starfucker)) is back to their old name. Thank goodness. I think it is one of the better band names in town. Plus I was struggling what to do with my albums. Was I going to seperate my Starfucker from PYRAMIDDD? Now I don't have to. Thanks guys. Also thank you for writing unbelievably catchy pop songs. Their a will admit that their two albums would make better eps and even better singles. Yet the singles that they have are so good that I would gladly buy an album just to have those few songs. Wampire also falls in this category as well. They have some songs that are just catchy as hell. Their song "Orchards" was my summer jamz of last year. They have another one that I don't recall the name of which maybe on it's way to becoming one of my summer jamz for this year. XDS (ex-Experimental Dental School) have been trying to get people to switch their name to this shorter easier to remember name for a while, but I keep seeing posters with the full name on it. Get with the program peeps. XDS. simple. Their music however is less simple. It is actually some what crazy. The guy has like a million pedals and at least four outputs from his guitar to go to different banks of pedals and amps. He also sings. The drummer lady plays keyboard and sings and may do a melodica or something too. Regardless, they are an impressive duo and I suggest you check them out. The ALL AGES show is $10 and starts at 6:30 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Starfucker, Strength, XDS, and Copy. Hey old people! This your chance to see a band that all the kids are talking about. You guys can dance right? Cause this is totally a dance show. I just talked about Starfucker and XDS, so I don't need to go into them. Strength and Copy, however I will go into. They are both make highly danceable music. Strength is more of a "band" as they use "real" instruments to create their dance music. Which is awesome. I remember seeing them at the first PDX Pop festival way back when. It was when indie rock kids were first learning how to "get down" with dancing. I feel like they don't play that often so you should probably come out and experience this for yourself. Copy is one Marius Libman. He makes crunk 8-bit keytar dance music that is layered with copious amounts of melodies. I love it. The show is $12 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with And And And and Gratitillium. I played a show with And And And a while back. I was unsure what to think about them because I was distracted by talking to some friends that I have not seen in a while. But the guys in that band were pretty nice and even gave me a cdr of their album. It unfortunately got lost in the abyss that is my bag that carries all of my miscellaneous junk. But then last week I put it on my computer and have been listening to it. I really like it. It is pretty fresh sounding. I don't really know what else to say right now, but mark my words. I think you will soon be hearing good things from this band. Soon. Gratitillium is a group that I have seen a few time but always seems to be changing their line up. What remains constant is band leader Nick Caceres and his somewhat off kilter tunes about animals. They are about animals right? Anyway his second album with this band is set to come out very soon. I want to see this band again so that I have a more informed opinion. Because what I recall the recorded stuff did not sound like the live stuff. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Mission Theater is having a show with The Tallest Man on Earth (Sweden) and Nurses. I was recently told about the Tallest Man on Earth. It kinda boggles my mind when a guy with an acoustic guitar makes such an impact that he can tour the world. This guy is from Sweden, which is one of those countries that is not America. They however are on an American label, Dead Oceans. You know who else is on that label? Nurses. I love that band. I feel like they have been touring a lot lately and I have not been able to see them. If you have not heard Nurses, I suggest you climb out from under that rock and get with the program. They make really interesting melodies and not so obvious harmonies and have a really cool drummer. They also incorporate lots of neat looping and samples. They have some keyboards. I am sorry this is so disjointed. Anyways, I have heard rumours that they have added new songs to their set. I want to hear those new songs. The show is $14 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". People have started to, and I hope it never stops.

-Ben


Starfucker is playing twice at Mississippi Studios once for the ALL AGES folks and one for the old folks.

No comments: