Monday, May 24, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, May 24th

Hello Dear Readers,

Did I mention my laptop got stolen? It did and has made blogging almost impossible to do unless I am at work. I tried to blog on my roommate's laptop on Thursday and it just didn't work. No offense roommate, who I shall not mention by name (drummer of AristeiA), but your laptop does not work so hot. Or maybe our Internet didn't work so hot. Perhaps we do not live in a "hot spot". Had it worked I would have mentioned the AristeiA show that we played that night with the truly incredible Like a Villain (Holland from my other band Meyercord). I would have also mentioned that I was going out of town for the weekend and would not be blogging. You may have noticed on your own that I did not blog. But here I am back in Portland. Back at work. Back with a working computer, so here are some shows that look interesting to me tonight:

Wonder Ballroom is having a show with Broken Bells and The Morning Benders (SF/NYC). So The Shins have been going through some weird times lately. What with line up replacements and not doing anything and all. It kinda seems like Broken Bells maybe James Mercer's replacement band for The Shins. Which is fine by me. I heard a little bit of Broken Bells and it didn't really do much for me. So let Shins pretty well and Broken Bells try to catch up. Then again most Shins records were growers for me. Which is why I am still listing this show. The openers are a pop band. I like the way they sound. It kinda has a less weird Grizzly Bear feel to it. I found a FREE Covers album that they out. You can download it here. The ALL AGES show is a steep $30 to $34. And starts at 8 PM. The only way I am going to this is if one you guys pays for my ticket. Any takers?

Valentine's is having a show with Magic Johnson, Psychic Feline, and Best Supporting Actress. These band I believe are, but correct me if I'm wrong, house show bands. It seems like house show bands are moving out of the houses and into the music venues around town. I guess that is always happening, but it really seems like it is happening now more that ever. Did you see how big Explode into Colors got last year. They also just broke up. I hope that this is not the trend, we have some good bands that I have yet to see. Magic Johnson is one of them. From what I can tell, they are a punk band that sings in Spanish? High energy. Psychich Feline is a band that I cannot tell if they will be good or not from the one song they have posted. I used to write about Best Supporting actress all the time. I still have not seen them. As a refresher, they are a duo that play noisy rock music that is best listened to on a tape deck cranked at full volume. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". I want to talk to you about music and stuff.

-Ben


Look Danger Mouse learned an instrument. You can see him in Broken Bells at Wonder Ballroom for lots of money

No comments: