Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for May 30th and 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

I almost went to a show. But I didn't because there was no parking cause there were too many people because of stupid Fleet Week. Here are some shows that I might make i to though.

Saturday, May 30th

East End is having a heavy rock show with Akimbo(Seattle), Helms Alee (Seattle), Prize Country, and With a Bullet. I am somewhat into heavy music. I mean I do not get all consumed as some people do with the genres of heavy music. But then again I don't get too consumed with any particular musical genres. I tend to become obsessed with certain songs or bands or artists or whatever. Anyway, I have been getting into heavier music and in doing so I have heard the names Helms Alee and Prize Country quite a few times. So, the show gets a mention. The show starts at 9 PM.

Hawthorne Theater (a place I generally hate) is having a show with Gavin Castleton (a musician I generally love). I have yet to see Mr. Castelton but I think his album is pretty great (and still stands as the only album I have bought off of itunes with out a gift card). The ALL AGES show is only $3 and starts at 9 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with Gregory Miles Harris, Rian O'Hara, Larry Yes, and Audie Darling. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM

Roseland is having one of those shows that has a big National act with one of Portland's up an coming acts opening. In this case Jenny Lewis and The Sadies will be playing. Mimicking Birds, one of the few acts under Mr. Issac Brock's wing will be opening. The ALL AGES show is $17.50 and starts at 9 PM.

Kelly's Olympian is having a show with Les Flaneurs, Mr. Frederick, and Wizard Boots. I have been meaning to check out Les Flaneurs for a while. I have me the man behind the band (aka Nate Clark) on a few occasions and he seems like a really cool dude. THe funny thing was that I was always seeing him playing at these slower paced "folkish" shows with other people's bands. Then when I listened to his band, I was a little surprised. There is no folk at all but rather post-punk with really cool rhythms and cool guitar work. It is awesome. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Tiger Bar is having a show with Rollerball, The River Project and The Escapists. I am writing about this show because Rollerball is pretty great. They kind of remind me of 90 day men. Though I think they have been around longer (they have been around forever). I still have not seen them. This might be a FREE show? It starts at 10 PM.

Berbati's Pan is having a show with The Upsidedown and Carcrashlander. If you have not seen Carcrashlander, you are missing out. They are such a good live band. I have like pretty much anything Cory Gray has ever touched, from his days in Desert City Soundtrack to backing the likes of Graves or Laura Gibson, he has the Midas Touch. But Carcrashlander is more rock than most projects thanks in large part to the crazy guitar that Alexis Gideon adds. The show is $5 in advance and $8 at the door. The show starts at 10 PM.

Sunday, May 31st

Doug Fir is having a show with Y La Bamba, Auto Pilot is for Lovers, and St. Frankie Lee. AS you may or may not know by now, I play bass and sing in Y La Bamba. So of course I am a wee bit biased towards the band. But I was a fan before there was a band. You can look up my old music picks and see. Saint Frankie Lee are a blast to watch. They know that the show is supposed to be fun. They often have themes to their shows to help with the fun. Plus the two front people are in love (they recently got engaged, congrats guys!). It will be hella fun. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Holocene is having a show atBackspace featuring Her Space Holiday (San Mateo, CA), City Light, Hot Victory, and Ghost to Falco. I remember Her Space Holiday as being kinda wimpy electronic emo. Times have changed and now he is just kinda wimpy pop. He is on tour with City Light which is somewhat of a super group project including Matthew Shaw (Seattle) that Denver Daliey (dude from Desaparecidos that isn't Conor Oberst). Hot Victory is one of the many bands that has two drummers these days. Actually that is most of the band there. There is one other member who does a lot of knob twiddling and stuff to make noise for the drummers to go to town on. Ghost to Falco is a dude that is somewhat like Mt. Eerie if he used a lot more pedals. The ALL AGES show is $10 and starts at 8:30 PM.

So if you see me at these shows. Say "Hi". Cause that would be nice of you.

-Ben


Ghost to Falco plays on Sunday at Backspace. There will a whole lot less weird camera cuts.

No comments: