Monday, May 4, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for May 4th and 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

I went to the Old Believers/Congradulations show last night. I am glad I did. First of all because there were several people I knew at the show (Sweet, I don't have to stand alone). Plus it was FREE. And then, obviously, the music was pretty great. Especially the Old Believers set. Essentially the both sets were comprised of the same people playing, but this was Congradulations first show. It was different than Eskimo and Sons, the band name they previously had played under, which is something that they had hinted at. It may have been because they were missing some members (Danny said that they were missing their drummer bassist and piano player), or the fact that they played a couple songs to pre-recorded tracks, but while I liked it, it didn't seem to live up to the last couple of performances of their previous band. They are definatley work keeping an eye on though. I think I felt the same way about Doubledutch at first too (another Eskimo and Sons related band), and I have ended up liking them. Anyway, I love The Old Believers stuff and last night might have been the best I have heard them sound (granted I tend to see them in places with bad sound). They really have something special. These "two" bands are very very tight with eachother and announced that in addition to both working on new albums, they will put out a split 7" in August. I assume it will be on Boy Gorilla and that it will be very good. Also the show that I almost went to, Ages and Saw Whet at Valentine's, apparently had Justin Powers play which sucks because I really want to see him play also Ages is a new played which is a new project from the Pseudosix guy. Anyways, this is what looks good to me.

Monday, May 4th

It is Cinco de Mayo eve. I guess everyone is getting ready for the big celebration tomorrow because there are not many shows going on. I picked these two so that there is a 21+ pick and an ALL AGES pick.

Valentine's is having a really cool show with Dead Oceans label mates Nurses and White Hinterland. I really like Nurses a whole lot. The other day I was in Seattle and a girl said that I look like one of the dude in the band (the one with the crazy beard). I played a show with them the other day and we decided there was enough of a resemblance that we should go to eachothers court dates posing as eachother. Unfortunately neither of us currently have any court dates lined up (I don't have any dates lined up). Tunnels is set to open the show. I saw them at Rontom's a while back and remember liking it, though I couldn't tell you what they sound like or anything. Not Jazz? This show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Satyricon is having a show with The Goodwill River, Neal Burton, and John Hear Jackie. I think that The Goodwill River show promise. I know nothing of Neal Burton or John Hear Jackie. Well just did some research. Neal Burton plays under the name We Sold our Blood for Money. It sounds pretty 'aight. The reall find here is John hearts Jackie. It is the sort of gentle male/female vocal music that I love. This ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Tuesday, May 5th

It's Cinco de Mayo! Go see a show!

Mississippi Pizza Pub is having a show with Gregory Miles Harris and Molly Bang. I am writing this because Gregory got to open up for Daniel Johnston. I think that is COOL. I have been wanting to see him ever since. Also I think I met a member of Molly Bang at a house show once. I am unsure as to wether or not there is a cover, but the show is at 9 PM.

Ash Street Saloon is having a show with The Volt per Octaves, Sallo, Ashcan Orchid and Destroy Nate Allen. I listed this show because I keep seeing the name Nate Allen everywhere so I want to check it out. But then it turns out that Volt per Octaves are really cool. They make easy going Moog music with lots of theremin. Plus they have recorded with the bass player from Beck and one of the dudes from Moog Cookbook (sweet!). Then it turns out Sallo is really good too. They are like a pretty piano and drums combo. I believe it is mostly instrumental. I like what I heard. Ashcan Orchid kinda sound like The Silver Jews with an added female vocal. Granted I made this assesment from only listening to one song. It looks promising. As for Nate Allen, he sounds like a dude with a acoustic guitar who grew up listening to punk music. This is not a bad thing. The show is a CD release for The Volt per Octaves. It is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

So if you sees me at these, please say "Hi". Or if that makes you uncomfortable, then by all means gaze from afar.

-Ben


The Volt Per Octaves play Ash Street on Tuesday. Cinco de Mayo!

1 comment:

Destroy Nate Allen said...

Thank you very much for the kind words. This show ended up being really fun.

If anyone wants to check out Destroy Nate Allen we have one show left in Portland June 12th @ The Coop.

After that we'll be on tour for pretty much the rest of the year.

www.myspace.com/destroynateallen