Friday, May 15, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for May 15th to May 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

Guess what? I finally saw Church with their new line up (essentially with newish drummer Lane Barrington aka The Ocean Floor). I really liked them before, but now I REALLY like them. I talked to Lane after wards and he was saying that he has been making them play a little louder. It is true. It is also awesome. The fact that they were not on the recent Best New Band list is a crime. Anyways hear are some shows you can catch if you want.

Friday, May 15th

Friday! Woooo!

  • Artistery is having a Artistery Sound Equipment Fundraiser with the likes of: Panther, Hooliganship, White Fang and Pep Assembly. I think that Artistery is a great space. The only complaint has been that the sound isn't always that great. Well they are trying to fox that and they would like your help. Alls you need to do and go to a pretty cool show. I have seen all of these bands play (except Pep Assembly) and know for a fact that they are really fun to watch. So if you are down with it, the ALL AGES show is $7 and starts at 8 PM.
  • Someday Lounge is having Graves, Arizona (Ashville, NC) and $100 Jayhawks (Salem) play a show. I feel like Graves is one of the more underrated bands in Portland. Or at least I feel that I take the for granted. They are really good but I never seem to make it out to their shows. It is a good thing they play all the time. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Know is having a heavier show with Samothrace (Seattle), Cull, Nanda Devi and Book of Belial. If you are a fan of heavier music, then hopefully you already know about this show. If you are pen to trying heavier music. I think this would be a good show to check out. I am really new to the heavier music, but I think a lot of these bands would be considered Doom. Anyway, it will be FREE and starts at 9 PM.
  • Kelly's Olympian is having a show with The Brightest Comet, Swim Swam Swum and , and The Friendly Skies. Okay, I like all of these bands. The Brightest Comet sounds like a mid to late 90's midwest female fronted indie rock band (think Rainer Maria). It is good. Swim Swam Swum sounds like a mid to late 90's midwest male fronted indie rock band (think Earlier a bit more angular Built to Spill). The Friendly Skies are an instrumental post-rock dou. They employ a lot of looping and really sweet live beats that one can groove on. The show will be $5 and starts at 10 PM.

Saturday, May 16th

Satudays are good day for shows. See.

  • There is an absolutely fantastic show at Backspace. It will feature: Tender Loving EmpireBirthday with musical talent: Jared Mees & The Grown Children, Reporter, Boy Eats Drum Machine, Gratitillium, Super XX Man, World's Greatest Ghosts, MEGA*CHURCH and DJ Nine Inch Nilina. I shouldn't have to say anything more but I will. Jared Mees & the Grown Children are hands down the nicest band in Portland. Plus they are one of most fun live bands. They have a good time and it spreads to the crowd. World's Greatest Ghosts are also suuuuuper good. I saw Gratatillium play at Berbati's last Sunday and they were the best that I have seen them, I bet the trend continues. Plus I hear that you receive a copy of the new Tender Loving Empire compilationThe Tender Loving Empire (a lot of the same folks) are the nicest label I know. So I can pretty much promise you a good time if you go to this. It is ALL AGES and costs $8 and starts 7 PM.
  • East End is having a show with Don Hellions, Hello Loneliness!, and Chores. I have not seen either of these bands despite my best efforts. I saw Hello Loneliness singer, Justin's old band Wooden Indian Burial Groud whom I thought were great. This bad boy is probably FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Sunday, 17th

The day of rest schemest. There are shows to see.

  • Rontom's is having a great show with Nurses, Church, and The Ocean Floor. It will be so good and so FREE. Seriously remember at the beginning of this post when I was saying how I saw them on Thursday. They are one of my favorite Portland bands. So are Nurses. And actually after finally getting a good listen to The Ocean Floor, they are right up there. This show also serves as a tour kick off for Church and The Ocean floor (which at this point are the same people). They are going to be each others backing bands. It should work out really nicely. It starts at 9 PM.
  • The Wail is having a show with Old Time Relijin and Scout Niblett. Both of these acts are local and are a bit off-kilter. They do their own thing and generally speaking do it well. This ALL AGES one is $7 and starts at 8 PM.
  • Valentine's is having Jef Brown, Doctor Nikaia, and Chick Korea. Jef Brown is probably best known for his role in the amazing Evolutionary Jass Band. It should be noted that he is pretty bad ass when performing solo too. If you don't believe me go check him out. The show is FREE, so why not? It all starts at 9 PM.

So come out and say "hi" to me. I will be at the show. It is the polite thing to do.

-Ben


Scout Niblett plays at the Wail on Sunday.

1 comment:

Goldie Davich said...

Hey ben! Adam just asked me out on a date. Where are you gonna be?