Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for May 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

I was unable to see any shows yesterday out of sheer exhaustion. But I rested up real nice and I think I will be able to hit up some shows tonight. This is what is playing.

Thursday, May 21st

  • Mississippi Studios is having a show with John Vanderslice (San Francisco) and Mimicking Bird. John Vanderslice makes pretty nice indie pop and had recorded many many bands. But the reason I list this show is Mimicking Birds. I really like what I have heard of their sound (mainly nice picking and good vocals). So did Issack Brock of Modest Mouse as he has taken them under his wing. The show is $12-14 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Doug Fir is having a show with Mike Watt & The Missingmen, Patterns and Krist Krueger. Mike Watt from Minute Men Mike Watt. Patterns makes good poprock music. I saw them a while back at Rontoms. It was cool. Krist Krueger sometimes fronts the band Southerly. He writes good songs and plays them on an acoustic guitar. The show is $13-15 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Jesse Bettis and company will play the stripped down more acoustic-y version of Oh Captain My Captain songs (Jesse usually fronts that band). It is cool to see songs in a different context and the people he play with Seth Mankoski and Mike Kitsen are both great musicians that arrange the the songs very tastefully. If you like Pedro the Lion, you will most likely like this. It is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me out and about, please take the time to say "Hi". I will take the time to give some sort of greeting back.

-Ben


Mimicking Birds will be playing the renewed Mississippi Studios tonight. Check it.

No comments: