Friday, June 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Liver Music Picks for Friday, June 4th

Hello Dear Readers,
Last Night I had a bit of a late practice which left me very tired at 10 last night. Plus for whatever reason (I guess I need the money) I agreed to work at 6 in the morning today. So I guess I am saying that I did not make out to any shows last night. But there are plenty of shows that are happening tonight. Look at all these shows:

The Tigard Public Library is having a show with Deelay Ceelay. If you live in Tigard this is you one chance to see some live music. If you missed The PDX Pop Now! CD release party last night (like I did), this is your second chance to see Deelay Ceelay this week. It will also be interesting to see how this show plays out. The library seems like a weird place to have a show. Especially one that usually takes place with lots of smoke machines and projected films. The library will never be the same. Right?. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts in the community room at 7 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with White Fang, The Mean Jeans, Cafeteria Dance Fever, and Guantanamo Baywatch. Hot Damn, what a line up. I have not seen White Fang in years, which is dumb. But I like their recordings and the fun punk-ish music that they emanates from their instruments. The Mean Jeans sound like a stoner version of The Ramones (in a good way). I have not seen or heard of Cafeteria Dance Fever, but they are in excellent company. Guantanamo Baywatch are one of the leaders in the Neo-Surf-punk-whatever-pop movement. Is that a movement? If you see them tonight you might make a movement in your pants (because they are good). The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Holocene is 7 years old? Crazy. To celebrate they are having a FREE dance party. If there is one thing Holocene is good at, it is throwing a dance party. They have lined up Miracles Club, Reporter, Operative, Golden Retriever, Linger & Quiet, and DJ Brkfst Sndwh. They are all pretty good. If you don't believe me, you can always click on the links I provided. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Hearts of Oak, Hillfolk Noir, and Sam Cooper. I am writing about this show becuase I like Sam Coopers music. He can play just about anything he touches. He put out an album a while back called "Spiritual Billionaire". I think it is pretty great. Then he got caught up in some band called Horse Feathers. So he solo appearances are a rarity. Hearts of Oak is the band that is fronted by some guy named Nate Wallace. I really like it. It is country. The kinda country music that someone like David Pajo or Howe Gelb makes. Which is to say pretty awesome with vocals that most people do not like, but you can't imagine any other vocals singing the songs. Hillfolk Noir is Travis Ward and company. Apparently he played on Doug Martsch's solo album (y'know the dude from Built to Spill). He plays really cool county-ish folk tunes. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I like it when you do.
- Ben

Reporter are one of many Dance bands playing the dance party for FREE tonight at Holocene.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for writing me up in your blog. Really enjoyed Sam's songs and Hillfolk Noir played a great set.

-hearts