Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, June 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played at the Knife Shop in AristeiA. I was actually kinda impressed with us considering we have not practiced in about two weeks. The other bands we pretty good too. I was happy that I finally got to see On The Stairs. Nate Clark and his band played a set of all new songs and he recorded the set. Maybe for a possible release? He had a brass trio backing him, it was really cool. He had this one song that sounded like a soul song. We thought Van Morrison. He said after the show he was going for Otis Redding. We then agreed that Van Morrison was probably going for Otis Redding as well. Anyway, there are a couple shows tonight:

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Like a Villain, The Sarcastic Dharma Society, and E.P. Hall (Bloomington, IN), and Problems?. I think I told you guys about Like a Villain. I tis Holland Andrews who also plays clarinet and sings in Meyercord with me. But this is a whole different thing. It is an awesome thing. She loops like a mad woman creating really impressive clarinet loops spiced with glockenspiel and vocal layers. I can't get enough of it. Sarcastic Dharma Society is one of my favorite bands in Portland. You must listen to their songs. They are obviously well crafted. Time was spent on the arrangements. EP Hall sounds like promising female fronted gothic folk. Problems? make very quirky pop music. I like it. Time was spent on the lyrics. I The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Gratitillium, Pancake Breakfast, and Tiger House. Gratitillium is the weird pop band of Nick Caceres a former folk guy. Tonight he and his crew are releasing an ep to tide us over until his second album drops later this year. Pancake Breakfast is the vehicle Mike Midlo uses to share his music with the world. He usually is backed by a choir and various musical elements. It changes from show to show. Or so I have been told. It will be a good time if you make it out. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I said Please.

-Ben




The Sarcastic Dharma Society will play in full form tonight at Ella Street. You should go.

No comments: