Monday, June 14, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, June 14th

Hello Dear Readers,

I have not forgotten you, I swear. Have you forgotten me? I realize it has been some time since we last spoke. Or rather that I spoke to you (the only comments I seem to get lately are spam). Not having a computer kinda cripples my blogging abilities. I have tried blogging from my phone and it BLOWS. Anyway what is the last good show you guys have seen? Leave a comment let me know. Here are the shows that interest me tonight:

The World Famous Kenton Club is having a show with Lana Rebel & The Love Lazers. Lana Rebel cut her musical teeth in a band called Last of the Juanitas. You would not really expect that based on her current output. That output being really well done female led country/rootsy I will be honest I had not listened to her before today but I read a little something that caught my eye. Namely what Ezra Caraeff of The Mercury wrote, "One of the true under appreciated voices in town, Lana Rebel channels the bygone era of outlaw country and the rhinestone flair of Gram Parsons, plus just enough punk rock flair (after all, she did deafen the masses in Last of the Juanitas for so many years) to tie it all together." this is what The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Zona Mexicana (NY), Mustaphamond, With Eyes Abstract, and Elemeno (NY). What made me want to post this show was With Eyes Abstract. They are part of the criminally under appreciated Brofam Collective. If people knew about this group of ridiculously talented musicians they would all be huge. Billy Corgan recognizes. He stole (or rather borrows) one of their drummers, Mike Byrne (of Bear Cubbin and Moses Smell The Roses) for his Alternative band, Smashing Pumpkins. Anyway, With Eyes Abstract is an absolutely insane band. I would suggest those who are into crazy music check it out. It sorta sounds metal it sorta seems mathy it has weird parts and is overall pretty intense. Zona Mexicana and Elemeno are on tour together from NY. They even have a split 7" to commemorate the occasion. Zona Mexiacana sound like a math rock band that does extreme quiet to loud dynamics with some cool screamed vocals. Elemeno sound more like a post punk band. Mustaphamond does not have any music on their myspace but I did find a very positive review of them on PC-PDX The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Tube is having a show with Thrones (Salem), Hot Victory, and DJ Nate C. Thrones is pretty bad ass. It is a one man loud drone/something else spectacle. It is heavy there are many speaker cabinets cabinets, many effects pedals, drum machine and vocoder. Yeah that's right, I said drum machine and vocoder. It still sounds heavy it is still really cool. I have never seen Hot Victory and I have heard mixed things about their live show. Essentially it is two drummers facing off or working together (I suppose it is all how you look at it) while a guy does some Synth and knob twisting over it. Plus I have heard that it may be "Metal Ladies Night". I am pretty sure that this does not mean robot ladies, but rather the kinda ladies that dig the loud kind of music. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


So if you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". What do you have to loose (I am assuming nothing).

-Ben


If you are a sucker for sad country songs like I am, then go see Lana Rebel and Co at Kenton Club tonight. It's FREE.

No comments: