Monday, June 28, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, June 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am working on getting a computer. I really am. It is just y'know...hard times right now. Anyway the only days I can currently promise show picks are Mondays and Tuesdays (a good chance on Friday's) other wise I have limited access to computers and what seems like even less chance of getting free Internet from my neighbors. Luckily, I am moving later this week to a place where I will be paying for the Internet in. That's right, I am going legit. Newsworthy? I am not sure, but I did actually get some newsworthy stuff in my email today. Do you want the good news or the bad news first? This is a silly question. I will give your bad news and then I will cheer you up with the good news. Okay. Hosannas is getting much smaller. That is to say that it that Christof and Lane are going to be pursuing other projects while the Brothers Brandon and Richard will continue on as two piece I suppose. They have one more show this Friday as a group. If you have not heard Lane's other band, The Ocean Floor, you really should. Okay, now the good news. Y La Bamba has officially set a release date of September 24th and today we made our Internet debut of a track from the album. You can hear that track and see the awesome cover art here. So anyways, here are some shows that are happening tonight:


Tube is having a show called Bad Reputation which will feature XDS, Astrology, and DJ Nate C. Remember that band Experimental Dental School that I used to write about all the time? Well the experimental pop duo have shortened their name to XDS. Kinda like when The Mr. T Experience changed their name to MTX. Anyway they are pretty read and are capable of making some really cool songs. You can even download their album for free right here. Astrology is somewhat of a super group. It has members of Panther and Copy, and something else (I looked it up, the other guy is from Dinner and The Main Course). I have not seen them yet but I bet it is cool. The show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.


(The World Famous) Kenton Club is having a show with Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers. I just recently discovered Lanal Rebel but I think you should check it out. Especially if you, like me, have a fondness for ladies singing somewhat sad country songs. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Honey Pot is having a show with Chrome Wings, Asss, Italic Indian (Westminster, CA), Virgin Blood, and Archipeligo. Experimental music house shows. I predict quite a few of them to occur this summer. Enjoy. I have still not seen Chrome Wings. I would imagine that they sound different from when I started to write about them a while ago. Asss is another band I have not seen. Actually let me stop myself from writing any further descriptions. And just say that I have not seen any of these bands, but that I have heard a little bit online and it peaked my interest. I feel that you should decide on going to this show based on whether or not you enjoy house shows. If you have not been to one, you should maybe give it a shot. The ALL AGES show is by donations and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, Hi. I do not bite.

-Ben


Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers are going to play tonight for FREE. Head out to Kenton Club.

No comments: