Monday, June 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, June 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

I had to go away over the weekend due to family concerns. There were several great shows that happened over the weekend. Please feel free to leave me comments as to which shows you went to (assuming they were good, because honestly who cares about bad shows?). Here are some shows that look like they could be good:

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond, Coyote Girl (the Bay), and The shoguns. I think that Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond aka Fin is one of my favorite songwriters in Portland. In fact, I know he is. The songs are always good. Lyrically and melodically. They usually can be cute and sad at the same time (not an easy feat). And what's more, rumour has it that his "X-mas" song that was based on a story on the amazing radio program This American Life might actually be played on the amazing radio program This American Life. How cool is that? Very very very cool. The show is FREE so there is not really an excuse not to go. It starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Secret Codes and Beth and Ian. Secret Codes is the vehicle for the music of David Kyle. He has assembled a pretty amazing group of musicians to execute the rather detail oriented music that he has been composing over the last couple of years. David used to play music under the name David Kyle and The Invisibles. He would perform with a couple guitars an iPod and a toshikoto. With his new band there is room for organic changes and breathing room for flourishes added by his new band mates which include a flutist, a guy playing Rhodes and trumpet, a bass player, and live drummer. I also know that David for a long time has wanted to add a lot of vocals to his past music that was mostly instrumental. I bet with all those people he has done so. Beth and Ian is a project for Ian from Secret Codes and a girl named Beth. The duo mostly performs as a an acoustic guitar and piano with male/female vocals. I have not seen them before, but David Kyle vouches for them. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with The White Buffalo (Somewhere in the US) and Adam Shearer (of Weinland). I am unsure how I feel about The White Buffalo. I cannot for the life me decide if it is okay or not. He is going to be playing a solo acoustic, a usually make or break situation. Adam Shearer, whose band Weinland had regular colored buffalo on their last album cover, is someone who I have not seen solo before. I bet he plays a lot of Weinland songs. I bet it sounds pretty good. And I can promise you that the banter will be good. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". It would be the best thing ever for me.

-Ben


Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond needs to get some more videos up. I know I have posted this one before. he plays for FREE at Ella Street tonight.

No comments: