Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, June 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did not go to any shows. Hopefully you did. I got kinda busy and before you know it it was 11 PM. Crazy. If you saw a show leave a comment. Tell me about it in the comments section. Anyway, there are some shows that peak my interest today. Here they are:

Ducketts is having a show with Secret Codes, My Dads, and Lee Corey Oswald. Secret Codes is a band that came from a project that used to not be a band but always should have been a band. Basically Secret Codes is David Kyles baby. Though I guess his baby is now being raised (or maturing) with the assistance of his band mates. I liked how David performed before, but it is way cooler to see now. What started off as a dude composing tracks on his computer has become one of the coolest post rock bands in Portland. Which is nice because there are not too many post rock bands in Portland. The songs are instrumental heavy but there are plenty of arranged vocal parts as well. They are definitely worth checking out live. My Dads is a band that spend their time making instrumental post rock music of the chill and sometimes somewhat somber. They have cool instrumentation that includes a guy who plays trumpet and keys and another guy who plays various keys and some guitar players that are very good and make use of their many effects pedals. Lee Corey Oswald is a folk duo that does not at all seem like a folk duo. Oh wait, maybe they are a punk duo that does not at all like a punk group. I hesitate to group them in the acoustic punk scene, but that would be the closest if I had to pick one. They have a sense of pop structure which makes sense since they both also play in the uber pop band Monarques. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Poises is having a show curated by David Dyas. David is an amazing guitar player. Just ask the any of the many many groups that have taken him on tour. He also ain't to shabby a song writer himself. He has made a lot of friends in town because he is an over all awesome guy. He is about to go on tour for a few months and has decided to round up some of those musician friends to each a few songs. His musicain friends are pretty good (I am just saying that I Know him *wink*). The ALL AGES show will be FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Space Art Collective is having a show with We Play Quiet (Vancouver, WA), The Shivas, Jordan Knect (St. Louis/Amherst), Sea of Oaks, and FC. We Play Quiet is a punk band. I would say they are, as some bands claim to be, "punk as fuck" but perhaps punk as fudge. It started as a drums and guitar duo and is now again a drums and guitar duo. If you like the kinda of punk music that incorporates actual singing and pop sensibles but is not a crappy pop punk band, this might be something you will like. The Shivas are a pop band in the traditional of I don't know...other pop bands? You melodies? They got 'em. You want information about Sea of Oaks of FC? Too bad. I tried to find out information but found nothing. Except the FC traditional is short for Football Club. Or as we would call it Soccer Club. The ALL AGES show is $3-$5 and starts at 7 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". I dare you.



Lee Corey Oswald are better viewed in person. If you go to Ducketts tonight, you can do just that.

No comments: