Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, June 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Did you guys see any shows last night? Yes? No? Maybe so? I totally didn't I ended up practicing too late. Oh well. There is always tonight. There is always any night. That is one of the nice thing about living in this beautiful city. There are shows every night. And not just (ahem) crappy shows. Here are the ones that look good to me tonight (assuming you don't want to shell out the $25 for the amazing Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings):

The White Eagle is having a show with Mike Midlo and Silk & Olive. Mike Midlo is the main dude of Pancake Breakfast. The band is essentially Mike backed by the Pancake Breakfast Singers which as you might imagine is a choir of singers. They add a lot of dimension to the folksy or rootsy (take your pick) songs. Not that they do not have much on their own because they do. I think a lot of the recordings are with out the Pancake Breakfast Singers and they sound pretty gosh darned good. Silk & Olive is the name of the group that singer Andy Fish fronts. I am not too familiar with her music, but judging by what little I did hear it is worth checking out. Think Cat Power. Kinda. I also could not help but notice that Mike Midlo sometimes plays music with her. I wonder if that will be the case tonight. Only one way to find out. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Marisa Anderson, Neal Morgan, Wet Wool, and Bird & Flower (Columbus, OH). I have never seen Marisa Anderson on a bill with out TJO. At least not that I can remember. In addition to playing guitar with TJO and The Evolutionary Jass Band, she is pretty good at creating her own material (see the link I provided). Neal Morgan is a dude that can drum sing and entertain all at the same time. Or so I am told. I have not seen him play live. I have seen videos of it and was not sure what to think. I put one of those videos at the bottom of the post. Wet Wool is a new band with members of Inside Voices. Inside Voices (one of Portland's finest) I believe is on an extended hiatus so you should defiantly check this band out. Bird & Flower is part folk park electro part lots of over things and is on tour from Ohio. I think you might like them. A lot of other people (even potentially me) like them too. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I would think that much cooler if you did.

-Ben


Neal Morgan will hit the drums tonight at Valentine's Tonight.

No comments: