Monday, June 21, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, June 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

As it turns out, in addition to not having a computer, I have started to form a budding social life. This includes sometimes having a visitor from out of town that will leave you guys with out daily updates. I hope that these last several weeks have not been too rough on you. I am back for a bit now and will do my best to keep on the show watch in order to keep you all aware of what's happening. Though to be quite honest, I have no idea what has been happening since Thursday. I hear that Hosannas played. Did anyone see that? I love that band. Anyways, here are some shows that you should check out assuming you do not get into the Brokencyde show at Hawthorne Theater (barf):

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Radar Brothers (CA), Pony Village, and Pine Lanuage (Corvallis). The Radar Brothers are a band that I have not thought of in a long time. I remember hearing about them when I was in college. For whatever reason the indie rock world seemed much smaller then. I would try to learn about every band I could. Now I mainly focus on those that I can actually see. Anyway I remember them being pretty good. but then I forgot about them. I guess they kept on going and just put out a record a couple months ago on the indie heavy hitters label Merge. I would say that they make pretty easy going indie music. Pony Village is a Portland Group that you should check out. It is led by main man Ryan Barber. To me it sounds distinctly like a Pacific NW indie Pop rock band. It is catchy and has airy sweet vocals. I have their 12" ep. It is pretty good. Pine Language is a band that I am pretty sure that I first saw last year at the Bladen County Records Musicfest NW showcase. They also play what would commonly be referred to as indie rock. Though I would not specify a particular region of which they sound like they hail from. I do not think that Corvallis has a "sound". The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Laughing Horse Books is having a show with Maribelle (Chicago), We Play Quiet, Leviticus, and Carcrashlander. I still have not seen a show at this place. But they have had some good ones. I just wrote about the Vancouver punk band, We Play Quiet, that are also kind of poppy although I would hesitate to call them a pop punk band. I could not find any definitive information on Leviticus. I found out that there are a whole lot of hip hop acts and a whole lot of metal acts that have named themselves Leviticus. Carcrashlander is the awesome project of man about town Corey Gray. I know that his usual lead guitarist David Dyas is on tour with his solo stuff so I am kinda curious as to if he has replaced him for this show or if they will play the show with out any guitar. It is based mostly around Cory's piano/trumpet combo anyway, so it could work. The show is by donation for the touring band. It is ALL AGES and starts at 8 PM.

Duckketts is having a show with Terraform, Stag Bitten, No Babies (East Bay), amd Hawnay Troof (Oakland). So essentially I am writing about this show because of Stag Bitten. They are a mystery to me. They do not have a website (not even a myspace) as far as I can tell. They do not have any recorded music. They only play live shows. Yet I have somehow heard of them. Not only that, but I have heard good things about them. Very good things. I have seen a few photos and have read that they are some sort of punk band, but it the mystery around them that intrigues me. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I will be the one in the hoodie with a dark beard.

-Ben


Pony Village will be playing at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: