Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, March 20th

ello Dear Readers,

Last Night I didn't go out again. I went home and started on this here post thing. I knew that I would be unable to blog in the morning. There are some really good ones tonight. If I get out of band practice at a reasonable hour, I am going to have to make some tough choices. These are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Rontoms is having a show with Yeah Great Fine and The Golden Hours. I would say that Yeah Great Fine are a near perfect band. They are totally a pop band, but they incorporate a lot of quirky and somewhat math rock based elements that makes the whole thing super phresh. The Golden Hours are a band that I have wanted to see for a long time. They don't play ever, so this is kind of a big deal. They remind me of pop music in the vein of Orca Team. Any band that covers The Shirelles and The Wipers is bound to sound pretty cool. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Michael Cantino (of Archers), Jonathan Magdaleno (of Support Force), Trudgers (Murrieta, CA), and Sea Cats (Kelso, WA). Apparently Michael Cantino used to record all by his lonesome. When he did that it was called Orange Jam. Like his new band, it sounds pretty great. I am kinda stoked to find this out. I really like Archers and Orange Jam is definitely of the same cloth. It looks like there is an out of print Orange Jam full length that I now want to try to track down. Damn. Oh and check it out: there is a new FREE song from Archers on their band camp. Listening to those projects, it is hard to imagine it translated into a solo performance. The same can be said about Jonathan Magdaleno. Support Force sounds like a band (they have a release out on High Scores). You know how some bands sound like a songwriter that is backed by a band? Support Force is not one of them. They have a lot of cool rhythmic starts and stops that I am not sure would be as effective if performed alone. I would be very interested in finding out though Also I just found out that Support Force with Trudgers. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with On The Stairs and Painted On. Just in case, like me, you missed On The Stairs at FXFU last night, they are playing again tonight. Nate Clark, the man behind the band, is a pretty prolific songwriter and according to the newsletter I got, they will be debuting some new stuff tonight. I used to think of on the stair as kinda folky. Now I see it is more 60's soul oriented. At least it does on the horn songs on his latest album, A Muted Dawn. You can download that sucker for FREE right here. you really should, it sounds great. I couldn't find anything about the band called painted on. But the google image search was pretty entertaining. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with New Century Schoolbook, Sea Caves, and Future Historians. It has been forever since New Century Schoolbook or Sea Caves have played. My friend Johnny plays keys in both. I wonder if he was on strike or something and finally got his demands met. Regardless, it will be good. New Century Schoolbook is an exceptional indie pop group. For reals. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi".

Ben


Yeah Great Fine will take a break from the pool to play Rontoms tonight.

No comments: