Monday, March 28, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Picks for Monday, March 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

I went to a dinner party last night that prevented me from seeing the shows that I wrote about yesterday. Also I played an alternative high school with Y La Bamba and mixed some Meyercord tracks this afternoon. I do want to let you know about a couple shows though:

In Other Words, feminist community, is having a show with Broken Water (Olympia), Kusikia, Magic Johnson, and Nucular Aminals. Broken Water is pretty cool. They play fuzzy shoegaze -esque rock that sounds way bigger than the three piece that they are. They feature members of other Olympian band Sisters and CONGATULATIONS. Kusikia are the duo Nsayi Matingou (guitar and vocals) and Peter Ryan (drums). Both play their instruments like extensions of their hearts. It's dramatic. It's Dynamic. Drynamic? Think Julie Dorion if her backing band was Slint. They put out a great record last year, Brown Town, available on Talking Helps Records or Gnar Tapes. But if you want it for FREE check this out. Magic Johnson is a punk band. They have a pretty great energy. They kinda stick out in my mind too because they have a lot of songs in Spanish (kinda like that band I play in). Nucular Aminals are a great pop band who make great use out of organ sounds and great melodies. They have a record out that will be re-released by the famed K Records later this year. The ALL AGES show is on a sliding scale from $3-$10 and starts at 7 PM.

The Know is having a show with Pluvial and Animism. Drum and Bass! It's not just for electronic music lovers anymore, thanks to the inventive duo Pluvial. They really push what can be done with the drums plus bass equation. No overdubs. No Looping. No vocals. Just bad ass-ery. You can get their For Cast For Give EP here. Anisism is a band that I had not heard of, but like. They have a nice mix of kinda lighter indie rock and cool post-rock. I find it very nice. I want to see them. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be nice, right?

Ben


Kusikia will be playing In Other Words tonight. Nice.

No comments: