Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, March 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played in Seattle in Y La Bamba and actually…more on that later. I guess what I am saying is that I didn't see any shows in Portland. Anyways, here are the shows that look good tonight:

Doug Fir is having a show with Y La Bamba, Denver, and Prairie Empire. This is a very similar show to the one I played last night. Y La Bamba played with Denver at The Triple Door in Seattle. If you are not familiar with Y La Bamba we are a very vocal-centric folk pop indie band infused with some Latin flavor. Denver is a country band through and through. They specialize in three to four part harmonies and sad songs. Many times he Prairie Empire is the new vehicle for Britain Ashford. I have written about the auto harp playing lady before but this is her new band. It features members of folk collective Harlowe and The Great North West. It should be a great show. The show is $10-$12 and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Alexis Gideon, White Hinterland, and Plastic Pussy. This is Alex Gideon's release show DVD/Vinyl release show if "Video Musics II: Sun Wu-Kong". Basically this is the second time around that Alexis has made a multimedia animated concept album. I am not sure that his previous concept album was released in the DVD format. Or vinyl for that matter. This is perfect. I mean, sure it is cool to take the live show to the next level. It would be nice to be able to experience it from your own home. White Hinterland is the every changing vehicle for Casey Daniels. I have no idea what to expect. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at Doug Fir, please say "Hi".

-Ben


Praire Empire will be playing tonight at Doug Fir.

No comments: