Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Picks for Wednesday, March 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't go to the shows last night. Instead my body decided to sneeze myself into a snotty heap of a man. I felt it was in the best interest of myself and everyone else if I just stayed in and had a tea party for one. It was just me and Netflix instant watch. Anyways, here are the shows happening tonight:

Holocene is having a show with White Fang, The Mean Jeans, Boom!, Therapists, and DJ E*Rock. It is the release show for White Fang's newest album "Greatful to Shred". They continue to make high energy and youthful punk. I write that and feel like an old man. The Mean Jeans also make punk, but theirs seems to be a natural extension of what the Ramones did. Basically if the Ramones were stoners. Boom! is the BFF band of White Fang (or is it the other way around?). They sound like a sloppy and fun party punk band (kinda like their BFF's). Therapists aptly listed their genre as crunk punk. Then there is DJ E* Rock who is not really punk at all. He mixed are super awesome and will make you want to umm…party? Yes. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Mike Midlo and Shook Twins. Mike Midlo is the guy from Pancake Breakfast. He started the band as a solo recording project. While he has put together a great band. I think it would be really cool to see him play solo. I talked to him the other day and he told me that he is also going to be recording for four days in a cabin next month to record a record. I am jealous. That sounds like an awesome thing to do. Shook Twins are actually twin sisters. Identical ones at that. This of course means, unnaturally good harmonies. But I guess they do a lot more than that. They play along with the expected instruments of a folk duo (guitars, banjos etc..) they also incorporate looping and beatboxing. I saw a video. They can actually beatbox. Check out Mr. Midlo every Wednesday this month as part of the Laurelthirst residency series. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

The White Eagle is having a show with Midlo, Mike Coykendall, and Evan Way. I bet that Midlo is Mike Midlo is the guy from Pancake Breakfast pulling double duty (you probably saw that he is playing earlier at Laurelthirst). Mike Coykendall has made a name for himself by producing and recording sow great records. But the man could just as easily made a name for himself just playing music. He has a voice that is perfect for the music he writes. His songs are well written and well played (see the video I posted below. Evan Way is a member of the excellent psych country band Mississippi Studios is having a show with The Seedy Seeds (Cincinnati), Milagres (Brooklyn), and Wild Ones. The Seedy Seeds sound pretty cool. Many of the songs have up beat lite beats and catchy synth lines. I would say that they are in the same ballpark as Au Revoir Simone. Milagres on the other hand, are more traditional bass guitar and drums. They sound good. The band that drew me to this show was Wild Ones. They are a post-post-Eskimo & Sons band. They are a keyboard based indie pop band. The secret weapon of the band is vocalist Danielle Sullivan. Her voice is great. I love it. Once you hear it you won't soon forget it. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Towering Trees, Michael the Blind, and Padriac Finbar Hagerty-Hammond. Towering Trees have transformed into a very fine pop rock band. They have their a really fun five song and free EP at the link I provided earlier in the post. I suggest you get it. Michael Levasseur aka Micheal the Blind is legally blind. I guess that is why he came up with that name. He is classically trained and it shows in his crazy finger picking and percussive guitar playing. Then there is Padriac Finbar Hagerty-Hammond. He is one of my favorite songwriters in Portland. I love his songs. I have seen him play solo and I have seen him in a band setting. They are both equally as effective. Because ultimately it is up to the songs. My favorites are the sad ones. Or the cute ones. Hmm…or maybe the ones that are both. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be nice, no?

Ben


Mike Coykendall is playing The White Eagle tonight.

No comments: