Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, March 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to a show! I saw Hosannas play at Bunk Bar. I was very happy that I did. It has been a while since I have seen them. They played really well and it looked like they have have been working really hard on figuring out how to play their songs from last year's amazing "Together" album. They seemed to be getting better with their drum machines and sampler. I think they added another synth since the last time I saw them. They leave today on their tour towards SXSW. I wish them the best. Anyways, here are the shows that look good tonight:

Larelthirst is having a show with Mike Midlo and Ryan Sollee. You know Mike's music as the basis of the band, Pancake Breakfast. Now I know that as a band Pancake Breakfast bring it. I have not seen Mike play solo before so I am curious how it will go. Being surrounded by his choir and other musical cohorts has been a big part of Mike's music for the last several years. But guess what. You will have four times to find out as he is the artist of the month at Laurelthirst. That means that every Wednesday this month Mike will be playing. Tonight he has Ryan Sollee of The Builders and The Butchers. Actually I realize that I could say something very similar about Ryan Sollee as I said about Mr. Midlo. The Builders and The Butchers is a very band centric band. Hard to image him solo. Mike will have other guests throughout the month, I will probably list all of these shows as I think the music is good. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Wampire, Breakfast Mountain, and Jeffrey Jerusalem. Wampire is an interesting band. They started in the house show circuit. They are kinda dancey. They are also pretty poppy. They got famous being a duo singing along to a pre-recorded tracks. They then added a live drummer. Now they have a bassist. They used to get flack for not being a real band. I dare say, they are now they are a real band. Plus, the other day I saw on Local Cut that they have been working on some new stuff. Specifically some 7"s. Breakfast Mountain is some pretty dope stuff. It is electronic and mixes and matches whatever. I only saw Breakfast Mountain live once. It was a basement show with Wampire. There was some live rapping atop the live electronics. But you look at the video at the end of this post and see that there is a live drummer when they play umm….live. Peter Hilton is also that drummer. He also plays in Typhoon. Also in the video you will notice Cyrus Lampton of Wampire. Will he make a guest appearance during the Breakfast Mountain set? That would be pretty awesome. Speaking of drummers and electronics, Jeffrey Jerusalem is also playing. He does live electronics and some drumming under this moniker. He also drums (quite well) in bands like Inside Voices. Tonight will defiantly make you want to move. So it is my suggestion that you do so. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Or else.
-Ben


Breakfast Mountain will play indoors at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: