Monday, March 7, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, March 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Greetings from California (again). I am on a college campus surrounded by college kids in the college library. There are several kids with ear buds blasting music loud enough for me to hear their music. Oh my god. I am an old man. Anyways, here are the Portland shows that look good tonight:

Valentine's is having a show with The Evolutionary Jass Band. I think I mentioned recently how much I missed this band. It was formed by Jackie O Mutherfucker founding member Jeffrey Leighton Brown. He switched from guitar to become an excellent saxophonist. With the Evolutionary Jass band he gathered a group of people that mixed a lot of styles together in a very organic way. I saw them play several times before several members including Mr. Brown moved away from Portland. I was always really impressed by them. It is fun and honestly just really good. It is very jammy and a lot of what they do is improvised as you would expect from a jazz band. They find a goof, lock in, and ride it out. Last I heard Jeffrey was in LA. This seems like a very special show, so I highly recommend you check it out. You can find The Jass band's records and at least one very fine Jeffrey Leighton Brown solo record on Community Library. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The White Eagle is having a show with Joshua English, Pancake Breakfast, and Jon Koonce. So Y La Bamba played a show with Joshua English a while back. I didn't know much about him back then. I knew that he was a skinny tattooed guy playing songs on his acoustic guitar. It seemed like a good fit with out skinny tattooed band leader playing songs on her acoustic guitar. I now know that the native Oregonian moved to Boston and lead a band called Six Going on Seven for several years. I had actually heard of that band because at the height of its popularity I was CMJ junkie and they were covered in it's pages. His solo out put is a lot more country sounding with memorable melodies and hooks. I think he is usually plays it pretty simple with him on acoustic guitar backed by a rhythm section of drums and bass. I am sure that he will be playing several from his self released Lay Your Bare Bones Down rom last year. Tonight marks the beginning of a White Eagle residency during the month of March for Joshua. Tonight he has the fortune of having Pancaked Breakfast open up the show. If you have not seen them, you really should. They put on a lively show. They have a nine person band who all sing (I believe). The music is all over the place, but somehow all feels unified when played together. It is impossible to categorize them. But it is really really good. Their self title album was one of last years best. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Colleen Green(LA), The Mean Jeans, and Nucular Aminals. Colleen Green ust put out a 7" on Hardly Art label (y'know that Sub Pop subsidiary). It sounds lo-fi as crap. It also sounds punchy and fun. They also have some free stuff on their bandcamp that includes covers by Blink 182 and Decendents. Pretty classic influences. They are on tour the 7" and are stopping here to play with some of our best fun and kinda punky bands (that aren't The Thermals). If you are a fan of the Ramones. I think that you will dig The Mean Jeans. If you are a fun stoner person. I think you will like The Mean Jeans. They seem to combine the best of both of these worlds (not that they are always exclusive by any means). I have never seen them, but I bet their shows are a lot of fun. Okay, Nuclular Aminals are not a very punk band. At least not in any genre specific way. They are however on K records which is a self-proclaimed punk label. In the sense they do whatever they hell they want. Whether is is singing in French or I don't know…whatever. They are a good pop band, regardless. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, then you are a crazy person. I am not there.

-Ben


The Evolutionary Jass Band plays at Valentines tonight. One night only!

No comments: