Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, December 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

Happy New Years Eve! It is the last day of 2009. Bananas. I ended up staying in last night. I disgust actions. But my rationalization, and there is always a rationalization, was that there are so many New Years Eve shows to choose from that I did not want to be worn out. And you know what there are a lot of New Years Eve shows that look really good. See:

Thursday, December 31st

The Doug Fir is having the Fir Ball which features Quasi playing The Who, The Shaky Hands, and Inside Voices, and DJ Safi. First of all Quasi is awesome. They were one of the bands I listened to back in Texas when I was dreaming of how cool Portland was. Second of all The Who were are pretty cool band too. Therefore it is my educated guess that this show will be pretty sweet. As anyone who has ever seen Quasi can attest, they know how to rock. The Shaky Hands are another band that has this know how. It seems like they don't play around town that much anymore. I think the last time I remember them playing was at PDX Pop this summer. They are always full of energy and jamz. Inside Voices is a band that I feel could make it big. They have my favorite drummer in town and a really good set of songs. The show is $13-$15 and starts at 9 PM.

Branx is having a show with Lovers, Nolita, Yurr Momm, DJ Chelsea Starr, Freddie Fagula, and Gottesfinger. Basically it goes like this, I think that Lovers put out one of the best local records this year. It is a nice blend of electro-pop and good singer songwriter is songs. Kinda like how the blow managed to saddle both of those inclinations. The first track on that album, Igloos for Ojos, was probably my number one jam of the year. The show is

Holocene is having a show with Reporter, Guidance Counselor, DJ Beyonda, and DJ Moon Poncho, and Linger & Quiet. Dance Party! These are hands down some of the best dance music made by bands Portland has to offer. The show is $10 the show is 8 PM.

Laurelthirst is having Two Beers Veirs featuring Colin Meloy, Derrin Craig, Lewi Longmire, and Maggie Lind. Have you heard the new Laura Veirs? It is pretty good. Looks like she has a load of friends helping out. This will probably be packed, but oh so good. The show is $20 and 9:30 PM.

The Mission Theater is having Weinland and The Dimes Weinland is usually a really good Americana Folk Rock band. Tonight however, they will be transformed into a dance band with many local musicians taking turns at being the lead singer. Basically it follows the form of the current Karaoke obsession that Portland seems to have. It will most likely be buttloads of fun. The Dimes will probably stick to being the really mice folk rock outfit that they can be depended on being. The show $12-$15 and starts at 9 PM.

Lavish Vegan Buffet is having a show with Alyosha (Japan!), Mustaphamond, Ochre, and Duck Little Brother, Duck!. I know absolutely nothing about the majority of these bands. I do know that Duck Little Brother, Duck! is one bad ass band. They play a pretty unique brand of super fast math pop. If you want them to love you, tell them that they remind you of Dilute. The show is by Donation

Radio Room is having Boy Eats Drum Machine play. BEDM is very unique in his sound which is to me a very delicate balance of a lot of influences. He is pop music but he also incorporates some hip hop aesthetic in the way of sampled beats and some lite scratching. He also plays the sax bringing another element that is not abundant in the local scene (Dirty Mittens and Don Helions excluded). The coolest part is that he is doing a very impreesive one man band thing inculding the turntable and sax and looping and singing all the while. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ground Kontrol is having Blast to the Future party with Copy, DJ BJ, and DJ Roxy Expoxy. Another Dance Party! This one does not appear to have any bands, but Copy is kinda live. I mean he plays a mean keytar. Copy is one of my favorite Portland Dance artists. Always a blast with that guy. The show is $15 and starts at 5 PM.

If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi". And then wish me a new year and then help me make a resolution to actually go to all of these shows that I write about.

-Ben


Okay so The Who will not be playing, but Quasi will be playing The Who . And The Shaky Hands are playing the show too. So of course I put up this video.

No comments: