Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ben Meyercord;s Live Music Picks for Wednesday, December 9th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night was pretty cold. I tried and tried (not very hard) but could not leave the house. I hope people made it out to that Valentine's show. It looked so good. Anyway I saw Paper Heart which was cute. But today looks to be a little warmer. And I will be out. These are the shows that I want to see:

Wednesday, December 9th


Laurelthirst is having a show with Nick Jaina. This will be the second in a residence series that Nick Jaina and his band will be performing. He has curated one of the best bands in Portland. I mean they aren't all that faithful, I know for a fact that at least one of the members is playing the show I list right below this entry. But they are all ridiculously good and sound very tight. Hell they recorded their last album live. If you can do that it means you're good. Assuming that it sounds good and I have heard that theirs does. Nick usually writes a narrative type song that is well arranged. His voice is not what you typically consider great, but it works really well for what he is doing. The music is during happy hour, so if you like drink and food specials this might make it even more appealing. It is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Someday Lounge is having a Leonard Mynx, Sean Flinn & The Royal We, and Amy Seeley. What is Bola Moyo? "Bola Moyo exists to help women and children, touched by poverty and HIV/AIDS in Malawi, Africa believe in themselves and believe a better life is possible. Working in partnership with local leaders, Bola Moyo supports education, creative expression, and skills development to equip them to live inspired and secure lives." So that sounds good right. Plus there are prizes to be won. Like a a stay at a hotel in Seattle, or a cabin near Mount Hood, or a spa treatment at The Dragontree, or some wine by Arcane Cellars, Dinner at Higgins, and Stumptown Coffee. I know I know. I had you at Stumptown Coffee. And on top of it all there are some good musicians who will playing for the people. Leonard Mynx is someone who I have written about several time. He is a songwriting machine. He always has a revolving band of people from around town. Sometimes he is folk, sometimes he is rock. Many times he is somewhere between. Sean Flinn is a man of many bands. You probably have seen him play with Nick Jaina or Jolie Holland. Most recently he has been playing in Y La Bamba which he has managed to steal/share some members. Luz Elena (vocals) and myself (bass, and some vocals) and sometimes Eric Schrepel (accordion) have been known to perform with him. As well as Scott McGee (Nick Jaina, Loch Lomond, many more). Sean's songs are really good musically and lyrically. I have yet to hear a song of his that I don't like. They are more on the pop side of things. It is not folk, it might fit okay with pop-folk? Whatevs The Show is $25-$30 and starts at 7 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with Incredible Yacht Control and Soft Tags. Incredible Yacht Control is a pretty ballsy name to have here in Portland given the popularity of Yacht. I am not sure how I feel about them. I have only heard a little bit of them. But Berbati's is pretty good about who they give residencies to. Did I mention they have a month long residency? They do. The openers, Soft Tags are a band that I have written about many times. They have a kinda shoegaze kinda 60's pop sound. It is a good mix. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with The Woolen Men, Total Bros, and Total Noise. Woolen Men are a rock band. I wish I could say that I have seen, but so far it hasn't worked out. They have very good melodies and a whole lot of guitar buzz. Total Bros make rock music with the energy of Punk. Total Noise contrary is not total noise. In fact is quirky pop music made with a lot of keyboards and whatever seems to be laying around. Seems worth checking out, based on the three songs they posted on myspace. It shows a lot of potential. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Leornard Mynx will be playing at Someday to help some people. What are you doing tonight?

No comments: