Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, December 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

Snow is awesome. It is is nice and white and has a knack for making things look pure. What is not to like? I suppose the fact that it has to get really cold for it to occur? But that seems a minor price for the existence of a winter wonderland. Yeah the real problem is that it makes roads very hard to maneuver. Especially in a town that is not used to being touched by snow, PORTLAND. Anyway, it made me loose all desire to trek over to Valentines. And now in the morning light where I see our winter wonderland has become very ugly landscape covered in filthy sludge I feel a deep sense of regret. I really wanted to see Root Beer and French Fry. Damn. Tonight I think I will be out there though. There are some really good things going on. See:

Wednesday, December 30th

Laurelthirst is having a show with Nick Jaina. This is an early show which can be a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand it is early enough that you will be able to catch a show and not be completely spent afterwards (unless of course you take full advantage of the happy hour prices). This means you can rest up for your New Years Eve festivities tomorrow. Or if you are like me, you might see an early show as an opportunity to catch more than one show. Which might lead to exhaustion at the second or, if you are truly daring, third show. Either way this is an amazing thing to have somebody of the caliber of Nick Jaina (namely Nick Jaina) playing to you for FREE. I like what Seattle Weekly said in regards to him and his band. "The blend of clarinets, trumpet, violin, keyboards, random percussion and guitar sounds like the anthems made for the most glorious hobo nation on Earth–sort of Tom Waits playing at a kangaroo carnival, with brief interruptions for the funeral of Paul Simon and Elvis Perkins." The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a "Holidang" with BOAT (Seattle), The Black Whales (Seattle), Typhoon, Ritchie Young, and The Riot Act Wrecking Crew. Speaking of high caliber FREE shows, did you just read the line up I just typed? I love me the pop that comes from BOAT. I love it. They are good guys to boot. While to be fair I only have a 7" by them , I listen to it all the time (or at least the digital files that came with the 7"). Then Typhoon. They are one of the best bands in this town of really good bands. They make folk rock, a traditionally quiet genre, that is huge. It truly is epic. How many other folk rock bands do you know with two drummers and a percusissionist. None. That's how many. And then there is Loch Lommond front man Ritchie Young. It is bananas that he is as good by himself as he is with his excellent band. It boils down to that very distinct voice that he posses'. The sucker is FREE but will accept donations for Multiple Sclerosis research. The event starts at 8 PM.

Ellas Street Social Club is having a show with Oh Captain My Captain, Jen Moon, Lovely Houses (Inianapolis,IN), and Ross McLeron. This is a really good show too. Man, what to do. Oh Captain My Captain sound to me like a mix of Pedro the Lion and Dr. Dog. Which is a really good combination, whether you or not you think so. You are going to have to trust me on this one. They are great. Plus a couple of their members also play in Jen Moon. Jen Moon is a project headed by a woman named Jen Moon and her keyboards. Her music is music is a bit on the darker side of things a lot of minor pianos and such. Though she doesn't sound like Shannon Wright, I feel comfortable using her as touching point. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Shoeshine Blue, Justin Power, and The Lower 48. This is a nice showcase of some of the folk pop that is going on here in Portland. Shoeshine Blue has been the subject of many of many of my posts. This is the first time he is headlining the Doug Fir. It is nice to see people getting the attention I feel they deserve. Justin Power has started getting some attention due in large part to his contribution of Portland Cello Project's last album which showcased several of his songs. I think he is a great songwriter and deserves any attention he gets. The Lower 48 are a pretty young four piece that just relocated from Minneapolis. They play folk pop the uses well crafted female/ male harmonies and traditional folk elements like acoustic guitars, mandolins, brushed drums and such. They sound pretty promising. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi". And then you can do with the rest of the night what you will.

-Ben


Catch the Typhoon at Mississippi Studios tonight.

No comments: