Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, December 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

I was practicing when The Mean Jeans were set to play yesterday evening so instead I saw no music last night . Oh well. There is plenty of shows to feast your eyes and ears on tonight:

Wednesday, December 16th

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Y La Bamba, Leonard Mynx, and Bryan Free & The Doxyhaunts. Yeah I am in the headlining band. I make no apologies. I think that we are pretty good. We don't fall into any easy categories, though I guess folk=pop is the the one that comes closest to containing it. There are many harmonies and accordion and nods to many music styles. Plus Luz Elena our lead singer has one of the best voices in Portland. Hands down. If you have read this blog from a long time you would know that I was a fan long before there even was a band. Also if you read this here blog, you know that I think Leonard Mynx is a helluva songwriter. I ran into a certain member of WWeek the other night and he told me that his new record, Le Petit Mort, sounds really good. I believe there will be special CDs available at the show tonight. And then I would be remiss is I didn't mention that it is a CD release show for Bryan Free & The Doxyhaunts. I have a split CD that Bryan Free did with Day of Lions a looong time ago. I have not really heard anything from him since then. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show 1776, The Hugs, Derby, and Motopony. This is a good show if'n you like power pop. Or pop-rock. Or just plain o'l pop. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Afternoon Brother, Neal Morgan, and Hexlove. I have written several times about both Neal Morgan and Hexlove, and yet have not been able to see them. So dumb. Neal Morgan does a thing where he drums and sings in a very compelling way. Look him up on youtube. It is cool stuff. Hexlove makes drone pop. Love it. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Nick Jaina. Nick Jaina seems kinda like a grumpy gus, but he writes some darn good songs and has an excellent band. I have yet to hear a record that he has recorded that I was not impressed with. I suggest that if you are free at happy hour time, you head over and check it out. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a PDX Songwriters Showcase: Eric Jensen, Katy Sanford, Pat Kearns, Amanda Spring, Jeremy Wilson<.a>, and Adrienne Hatkin. Eric Jensen is Tractor Jensen. Katy Sanford is of the bandThe Jolenes. Pat Kearns is of the band Blue Skies for Black Hearts. Amanda Spring is of the bands ioa and Point Junture, WA. And Adrienne Hatkin is of the band Autopilot is For Lovers. This is a lot of people. And I like a lot of the bands that a lot of these people are in. The show, on the other hand, is $3 (not a lot of money) and starts at 8 PM.

Dunes is having a show with With Eyes Abstract, Carson McWhirter, Why I Must Be Careful. The show looks awesome. If you are into instrumental music, or experimental rock, or math-rock, or virtuoso guitar playing, or heavy music. We got your bases covered here. If I were not playing a show, this is where I'd be. The show is FREE? and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at these shows please say, "Hi". Maybe you will like what will happen.

-Ben


Why I Must Be Careful get all wanky jazz on you tonight at Dunes.

No comments: