Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Feb. 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am still recording. I am still loving it. But it also means I am still missing shows. I hope that you guys have been going to shows in my absence. Anyway her are the shows I am going to miss today.

Thursday, February 12th

  • Backspace is having a show with Chris Lay, The Kris Special (LA), Little Czar and The Psalmist, and Church. Okay so I initially listed this show because I think Church is fantastic. They don't have this show listed on their myspace page, so I am not certain they are playing this show. However, I really liked what I heard of Little Czar and The Psalmist. So it might be worth the $5 to see this show. It is ALL AGES and starts at 8 PM.

  • Kelly's Olympian is having a show with Leigh Marble, Felina's Arrow and Shoeshine Blue. I feel like I keep seeing Leigh Marble's named on bills with people I want to see. His page alludes to a sound of mixing Tom Waits and Fugazi. That is an absurd claim, but also kinda interesting. Anyway, the reason I am listing this show is because Shoeshine Blue is just awesome, if you like that whole bluesy folk thing. The show is $5 and starts at 10 PM.

  • The Artistery is having what they are billing "Bloodfest: a beautiful act of absolute sympathy and attention, a continuous evidence of perfect compassion". THis is not some sort of vampire thing or whatever. This is an event in the celebration of Marraige RecordsWhite Fang, Tom Blood (Poet), Golden Boots (Tucson), Davis Hooker, Mercedez, and Birdie Busch. This is a truly diverse group of artists, but I'll be darned if they aren't all really good (Seriously). This show is ALL AGES and will cost $6. The music gets started at 8 PM.

  • The Fez is having a show with Caught in Motion, Water & Bodies and The Jezebel Spirit. I list this show, because I think The instrumental post-rock music that Jezebel Spirit makes is pretty sweet. AristeiA, the post rock band I play bass in once played a show with them it was pretty cool. Caught in Motion are really different, instead of instrumental they focus on honesty in their lyrics. Any way this show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

So those are the shows I cannot attend. But would have loved for you to have said "Hi" to me if I were there.

-Ben


Shoeshine Blue will be ripping it up and laying it down tonight at Kelly's Olympian.

No comments: