Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for February 18th and 19th

Hello Dear Readers,

What's up? Did you got some shows? I went and saw Secret Codes first show the other day at Valentine's. It was pretty cool. I love me some David Kyle music. He started the set with a very cool and very cool drone thing made with his taishokoto with the use of an ebow and a lot of delay. It was sweet. Solyoni followed with some very 90's influenced rock. I especially liked their short instrumental numbers. The night ended with Greenladies who impressed me by throwing a cover of "Mil Anos", a song I am not familiar with and is in spanish, but seemed very pretty despite me not understanding it. Anyway, I was unable to attend any shows last night. But here are some shows that are not to be missed.


Wednesday, February 18th

There are a lot of good things to see and hear tonight. I have my decision made for me, but you make yours carefully.

  • Roadside Attraction (1000 SE 12th) is having a show with Meyercord (me!) and Black Heart Moon. I think I am pretty good. Black Heart Moon are good. And if they have the Lap Steel Guitarist they had play with them last time, then they are super good. This show is FREE. It starts at 9 PM.

  • Holocene is having an event called At Pop Shots. It is basically a rock photography show with some pretty kick ass music. Boy Eats Drum Machine, Lovers, Ley Lines and DJ Kev (Kevin of Talkdemonic) will provding the music. The photos are being provided by Nilina Mason-Campbell, Miliken Gardner, Megan Holmes, Liza Lubell, Jason Quigley, Minh Tran, and Jeff Mawer. You should note that both Nilina and BEDM contributed to our very sexy calender. As for the music. I can't believe I have not heard more about Lovers. I just listened to their music today and really like it. The first song on their myspace, "Igloos for Ojos", is really good kind of synth based pop. I was really impressed and then surprised when the rest of the songs on the player were not like that at all, but rather slower but were just as lovely. I like what I have heard of Ley Lines, so hopefully I will catch them live someday (check later this week). Any, I guess I am a new fan. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM?

  • Dunes is having Bird Costumes with some guests. It is part of the Tight Hug shows. I am curious as who these guests are and how "tight" they can be if they have yet to be confirmed. Whatevs, I like Bird Costume's sounds. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Backspace is having "Old Time in Old Town". It will feature the following acts: Charlie Sutton, Ivonrose Family Jamboree, Shoeshine Blue and Spider & Fly. That is a lot of bands. A lot of good bands which is why it is surprising that the show is a mere $5. It is also ALL AGES. As you might have gathered from the name of the show, it is a lot of Old Timey based or influenced music. It starts at 8 PM.

Thursday, February 19th

There are some really good shows on Thursday too. Man, I think I might be in the neighborhood of some of these as well. I think I will have to catch at least one of these.

  • Holocene is having a reiduclously cool show with Au, Nurses, and White Hinterland. Au is really cool with the way they experiment with the pop genre (kinda like Animal Collective does). Actually Nurses somewhat does that as well. White Hinterland too. I guess what I am saying is that this is an experimental-pop show. I live Nurses music. I can't get enough. I saw White Hinterland the other week and could not really tell what was going on. Hopefully their sound is better at a place that is used to more intricate set ups. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Doug Fir is having a show with Heroes and Villians, Chris Robley and The Fear of Heights, Juan Prophet Organization. I have never seen Heroes and Villians, but I have talked to people who have and have been assured that it is really cool. I saw the lead guy, play a solo set last week armed only with a banjo and was pretty impressed. I caught a very solid set of Chris Robley at PDX Pop last year. I have never heard of Juan Prophet Organization. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Artistery is having a show with Karl Blau (Anacortes), LAKE (Olympia), and Bognar. Though two of the acts are not from the immediate area, these are all Pacific NW based artists. They are also all pretty good. Karl Blau is somewhat of a big deal in certain circles. He has been in a lot of bands and recorded even more. I believe he is an unofficial (official?) member of LAKE. I have seen LAKE play a few times and really like the well arranged pop music which they perform. They are one of those bands in which every member is a songwriter. Bognor is Luke from Artistery's some what solo indie-folk project. It is good. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

  • Backspace is having ashow with Egadz!, Restiform Bodies (Oakland), Ninth Cloud and Cars & Trains. This show is comprised of a lot of electronic based music. Though when talking about Cars and Trains, calling his music would be an injustice. It sounds like it, but if you have ever seen him, then you know all the songs are made before you r very eyes using a series of looping technology. The dude plays his own instruments, and it is cool. This ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Slabtown is a Geographer (San Francisco), Yeah Great Fine and Late Night Curly. All of these bands are very good and play pop based music. Yeah Great Fine features ex-members of the late great Newspapers. I saw them a few weeks ago and loved it. They play music that has a touch of math-rock to it, but also contains some sweet harmonies and other pop elements. This is a good show. It is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Dekum Manor Experimental Dental School, Magic Johnson, Pete Swanson (he was in the group Yellow Swans, and Foot Village. I love Experimental Dental School and their two person spaz rock attacks that are delivered with a skill that should make all bands a little bit jealous. I am not sure what the cover will be on this show, but it will be cheap. The ALL AGES show will start sometime after 8 PM.

  • CD Forge/Cravedog is having a Merger Party because they are well...mergeing. This will be happening at 412 NW Couch 203. Carcrashlander will play. I am unsure if it is open to the public or not. Whatevs.

So those are some pretty amazing choices I have presented to you. I hope you go to these. I am planning on seeing some of them. If you see me, say "Hi". It will be fun.

-Ben


Nurses play Thursday at Holocene! Hello Nurse!

1 comment:

dharmabeatdown said...

David Kelly is pretty darn good, for a loopy guy. Saw him open for Rex Hamilton. I'm excited for them to start playing again, as they have been joined by Jeremy from Prick & the Burn, and are moving in a newish direction.