Friday, February 20, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for February 20th to 22nd

Hello Dear Readers,

I love the Roadside Attraction! I had such a good time, the other night. when I played there. Goldie even made i out. I want to go back. I thought it was the perfect size for a small show. There are too few places like this in town. I mean there is Valentine's and ummm.... That is the only that comes to mind now. Please let me know if there are other places like this.

Here are the shows for this weekend.

Friday, February 20th

Here the shows I am interested in.

  • KPSU is having Cars & Trains perform on air as part of Live Fridays at 5 PM. I think Cars and Trains is bomb. It don't cost nothing to listen, so why not?
  • Slabtown is having a show with Jackie-O Motherfucker, E*Rock and Sad Horse. Jackie-O is one those experimental type bands with a lot of members that sound different every time you see them. I have never seen E*Rock, but I like pretty much everything he touches. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Laurel Thirst Public House is having a great show with Leonard Mynx, Mbilly and Jacob White. All of these dudes play really good (americana? folky?) music that sounds good on acoustic guitar. Though it should be noted that Leonard is playing with a full band (and dude knows some good players). The show is $5 and starts at 9:30 PM.
  • Backspace is having a cool show with Panther, Ghost to Falco, and Ohioan. Panther is supposed to be very good. Ghost to Falco is very good. I have seen him a couple times. He said that he sometimes plays as a band. I would love see that. This ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Disjecta is having a pretty good show. Deelay Ceelay, Chrome Wings and Mannequinhead are playing a show. This is a show that was scheduled was December but was delayed due to the "Artic Blast" of 2008. It is $5 and starts at 8 PM.
Saturday, February 21st

Good stuff:

  • Disjecta Tin House release. Tin House is a literary journal based out of Portland. Matthew Dickman and Arthur Bradford two of the authors will be doing some readings and there will be a performance The Old Believers. You can read about the event here The Old Believers are very good. They are essentially a duo, but sometimes add more players. I am still kicking myself for missing their show at Aladdin theater were they were 12 members strong. This show is $6. It starts at 7 PM.
  • Mississippi Pizza is have an amazing show with Down South Sallie, Meyercord (Me!)and Kelli Schaefer. If you have not heard Down South Sallie or Kell Schaefer, then you have to see this show. They are both fantastic and have very strong voices. Sallie to me sounds Billie Holiday-esque which is cray because you would never guess it by looking at her. It must be seen. Kelli on the other hand just sounds perfect. Her songs are great. You might have heard her on last year's PDX POP NOW! compilation. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Airplay Cafe is having a show with Super XX Man. I like the Super XX Man. I really want to check out this venue. It is ALL AGES and a good location (it is where the old Ozone Records used to be). I have not heard wether there food is good or not but, really I just want to check out the place. The ALL AGES show is $5-10 and starts at the very reasonable hour of 5 PM.
  • Chaos Cafe is having a show with Colin Jones, Travis Wiggins, and Ahnli (Sleepyhead and Oh). This show most surely be beat heavy and a lot of fun. Colin Jones knows how to spit. I have seen him do his stuff acapella, I have heard his recorded stuff too and he is good. I have not seen Travis Wiggins in a long time (what's up Travis?), but I know his performances are always fun. And I have heard nothing but great things about both Sleepyhead and Oh. THey seem to make a team worth checking out. The best part about the Chaos Cafe is that is usually FREE and always ALL AGES. It begins at 7:30 PM.

Sunday, February 22nd

Sunday has become a pretty viable day to check out shows thanks to places like Rontoms and Valentine's. Good on you both of you.

  • Rontoms is having one of their famous Sunday Nights shows. This time they have Experimental Dental School and Team Evil. I know that Experimental Dental School is awesome. I have seen them several times and love it each time. I have wanted to see Team Evil from when I first that Team Evil existed. Admittedly, I was interested in the team when i found out it was Point Junture, WA related. But seriously, I would be into this anyway. There music kinda reminds me of the 90's. This show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.
  • Valentine's is having a show with Yonderlow (Seattle) , Autopilot Is for Lovers and Travis Wiggins. Incase you missed Travis the previous night, this is your second chance. Also, I swear that Yonderlow was just here the other week. I wonder what their relationship with Portland is. Autopilot is pretty sweet. This a FREE show. Again, Sweet.
  • Backspace is having a show with Damiera (not from here?), Ley Lines, Spinning Wheels. Ley Lines played earlier this week, so it is another second chance opportunity. I had not heard mush about Spinning Wheels, but I like what I heard on their myspace. This is am ALL AGES show with a cover of $6. It starts at 8 PM.

So If you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi". I am almost certain that no harm will come of it.

-Ben


Blue Cranes play for FOOD FREE! Tonight!

4 comments:

dharmabeatdown said...

So, I totally read the opener as:

"I had such a good time, the other night. when I played there. Goldie and I even made out. I want to go back!"

Need to get my glasses checked...

Oh, and Panther sux. At least he did back in the Pioneer Courthouse Square days. I understand the act hasn't changed any, though.

Anonymous said...

ya, ben, the road side is like a home away from home.

i'm doing 2 different sets at these shows this weekend, so they should both be fun.

wish i could come to yr show....

yonderlow played portland on the begining of their tour and this is their show on the way back home to seattle. nate from that band used to be in the great folk rock band minivan. he also lives at a rad venue in seattle called HOLY MOUNTAIN. hello loneliness played there a couple weeks ago and it is rad rad cool awesome.

xo

Anonymous said...

oh and jess, panther was kinda self indulgent and boring back in the guerrilla karaoke days, but its actual a fleshed out band now that kinda totally rocks... you should check them out.... definately lives up to THE PLANET THE.

Ben Meyercord said...

Yeah, I used to hate on Panther too, but his newer stuff is way better. Though The Planet The is the best stuff he has ever done. I saw them play back when I lived in Texas when they toured with Xiu Xiu. I bought The Planet The's album and walked out of Xiu Xiu (who are also way better now).