Friday, February 13, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Feb. 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

So we finished with basic recording for Y La Bamba today. So that means I can possibly see a show tonight, though I am somewhat exhausted. Here is what today has to offer.

Friday, February 12th

A bunch of stuff to catch tonight.

  • The Waypost is having a show with Ricci Swift, Grey Anne, and Adam Raitano (of Hereos and Villains. As anyone who reads this blog knows that I said like a million times, I think Grey Anne is one of Portland's finest. Her songs are top notch and her performances are always entertaining. I don't really know mush about the other performers. I know that Heroes and Villians is supposed to be good. This show is FREE and ALL AGES and starts at 8 PM.

  • Dekum Manor is having a house show that is sure to make you dance liek crazy. They have lined up Atole, Breakfast Mountain, Thunder Quest, and Cool Jesus (members of ). All of these bands make what I call indie-dance music. That often is somewhat lo-fi and electronic based. I thing they are all pretty awesome too (except for Cool Jesus who I have not heard, but Guidance Counselor is awesome). This is an ALL AGES show with no cover listed. The show starts at 9 PM.

  • Dunes is having a great indie-pop show with New Century Schoolbooks, Shake Speake and Best Supporting Actress. Except Best Supporting Actrees is not indie-pop. But whatevs, they have a song called "Hipsters, stop getting jobs in advertising". Ha. Anyway I have seen New Century Schoolbook and really liked it (What's up Amber Dawn?). And I have been meaning to check out Shake Speake for quite some time. This show is $5 and starts at 10 PM.

  • Ghost Realm is a house venue in North Portland. Tonight they are having the head bobing inducing (sometime even dance inciting) Reporter, Whatís Up?, and World's Greatest Ghosts (I believe that some members live at Ghost Realm). Lord do I love WGG. I think they are the cat's meow (that's good, right?). Plus they have a cover charge of cookies? That's what the myspace says. The Myspace does not lie. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • The Couch house (a house show venue, which I have never heard of) is having a show with Autopilot is for Lovers, Yonderlow (Seatlle), and Why I must Be Careful. I have listed Autopilot (loacal interesting folk) and Why I must be Careful (jazzy/spazzy rock) before on this blog. I know next to nothing about Yonderlow except that they hail from Seattle and play kinda countyish music. This show is FREE and ALL AGES (though Captured by porches will be there too, so you can get your drank on). There is a vegan potluck at 8 PM and the music starts at 9 PM.
  • The Blood Bank (SE 52nd and Bybee) is having a show with The Taxpayers, We Play Quiet, lets Cross The Sea, The Intolerants. It is a "Benefit For the Vancouver Burrito Project". Apparently there will be Free bean & rice burritos for the first 25 folks. There is a $2 to $5 cover. It is an ALL AGES show and it starts 9 PM.

So are the shows that are today. I hope you enjoy. If you see me say "Hi".

-Ben


World's Greatest Ghosts! Tonight at their home.

No comments: