Monday, July 7, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks Weekday Edition for July 7th to July 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

This past week was great for me. I actually didn't see that many shows only three in fact (one of which I played). I saw Shelby Sifers play twice this past week before she headed out on tour. She was great by herself and was super fun when she played as a band at the Green House (I would also like to add that Purrbot and Randy B and The Sarcastic Dharma Socitey also played Great sets that night). Any way, this week there are some great shows. Really hard decisions will have to be made by yours truly. Here they are:

Monday, July 7th

There is one show happening that I want to mention. And oh do I really want to mention it.
  • Valentine's where the incredible and always great live Evolutionary Jass Band will play two sets for FREE. I mean you don't really get much better than that. Hopefully they will have copies of that vinyl that was mentioned here on CIMTB a while back. Jazz for the awesome price of FREE! The show starts at 9 PM.

Tuesday, July 8th

Good God, there are five shows I want to mention on Tuesday. What the hell?

  • Okay, first off I just want to say Ratatat is Awesome (seriously, check out their remix of Bjork's Wanderlust. I have been listening to that track like crazy). Second off, they are playing Holocene on Tuesday, the same day their new album LP3 comes out. I know that they are not a Portland band, but one of the dudes, Evan Mast(E*Vax), used to live here. In fact, he co-founded a really sweet label with his brother, Eric Mast (E*Rock), and named it Audio Dregs. Audio Dregs puts out cool, usually, electronic based music. E*Rock will be opening a couple shows on the west coast. Tuesday DJ Hot Air Balloon (Steve Schroeder, founder of States Rights Records) will also be spinning. The show will probably be worth every cent of the $15 it costs to get in. The show starts at 9 PM.
  • The Doug Fir is having a rock show featuring some metal type music. Portland's answer to Black Sabbath (kinda), Danava, is opening up for "Chicago cult legends" Trouble. So if you're looking for it you know where to find it on Tuesday. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Coop is having a show on Tuesday with Ghost Mice (Gainsville, FL), Heathers (Dublin, Ireland), Hey Tiger, Craig Salt Peters (Seattle), The Taxpayers, and a Super Special Guest. Looks like we got some punk of the electric and the acoustic variety probably some music that fits in categories between the two as well. $5 to see bands from across state lines and even oceans in Heather's case is certainly not bad at all. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • Towne Lounge is having a show of note too as Mostly Bears (Tuscon, AZ), David Kyle and The Invisibles, and Kate's Mirror play a show. I mention this mostly cause I think David Kyles music is pretty cool. He builds music out of layers of various Eastern instruments, guitars, keyboards, and a laptop to create his songs. Sometimes he has his friend Caroline Buchalter play viola too. The show is $6 at the door. The music starts at 9:30 PM.
  • Valentine's is having New Bloods, Softboiled Eggies (LA), and Experimental Dental School play a show on Tuesday. Though I only saw Experimental Dental School once, it made quite an impression with their two piece experimental rock assault. You should check out the dude's pedal board (cause its crazy). The show is $5 for the touring band. The music will start anytime after 9 PM.
  • Not to mention open spaces (open mic sounds so passe). Zilla Sake house has one hosted by Y La Bamba. There are some good people who sometimes drop in. Plus there are like 300 kinds of Sake stocked and fresh shushi. This is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Wednesday, July 9th

There is some good stuff here.

  • I have not been at the Tonic Lounge in about a year when A Weather played there. They consistently have shows, but I guess it just isn't what I'm "feeling". On Wednesday Tiger House, Autumn Film (Boulder, CO), and BoomSnake are playing Tonic Lounge. While I am unfamiliar with the first two bands of that list, I would very much like to see BoomSnake play. I got the Boomsnake CD, Give and Take, on a whim at Tender Loving Empire and was quite impressed. I guess you could say I am "feeling" it. The show is $5. There is a listed start time of 9:15 PM.
  • Holocene is having a KPSU presented all local show with Day of Lions, Eskimo & Sons, and Norman. I have not seen Day of Lions in a long time. In the meantime it has expanded from a solo act playing sad songs to a full band playing not as sad songs that have been recorded and released as a CD for Yukon Records called Come Down From the Mountain. I have heard nothing but good things about Boy Gorilla affiliates Eskimo & Sons. It is also a rarity to see indie folk rockers Norman as their members are spread between Portland, Salem and Corvallis. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Someday Lounge is having a show with some bands I have been meaning to check out. Sam Cooper, Megafaun (Durham, NC), Achille Lauro (Denver, CO), and AAN are playing. Specifically, I have been meaning to check out Sam Cooper (recommended by a friend) and AAN (recommended by myself). A lot of folks playing all kinds of folk (and indie other kind of music they want). The show is $6 and the show starts at 9 PM.
  • Slabtown is starting to bring live music (that I care about) back to NW Portland. I confess that I have never seen a show here, but I have noticed that I have been listing a lot more shows here than I used to (used to be = never). On Wednesday they are having The Hand That Bleeds, The Quick and Easy Boys, and Strange Language. I list this show mostly because I thought The Hand That Bleeds was a fun live show. Plus its FREE. The show starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, July 10th

I have an impressive six shows that you could enjoy with 100% certainty if you are Ben Meyercord. Though it is quite possible that you would even if you are not.

  • It is a The Old Believers kind of Thursday. Which is to say that it feels like you could maybe see them more than once. Which, of course, you can. They are playing twice today. The first show you can catch this really good folk duo is at their in-store performance at Music Millennium at 5 PM. This performance is ALL AGES and FREE.
  • The White Eagle is having a show with American Nobody, Annie Bethancourt, and Hide & Go Hustle. I think that Annie Bethancourt is a great songwriter with a great voice. I have heard go things about Hide & Go Hustle. I think it would be worth seeing for myself if I were you (or me). The show is $4 and starts at 8:30 PM.
  • Chaos Cafe is having a show with Sam Cooper, Benjamin Ballinger, Ivonrose Family Jamboree, and Martyrs of the Apollo Guild (Duvall, WA). So if you missed Sam Cooper on Tuesday, here is your second chance. It sounds like fun. I guess any show that has a band called Ivonrose Family Jamboree sounds fun, right? I just looked at the Ivonrose page and it looks to be a 12 piece band including a three person Ivonrose choir. Neat. Since it is at Chaos, it will be ALL AGES and FREE. The music starts sometime after 8 PM.
  • Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Brenna Palentta and Karli Fairbanks (Spokane, WA). If you like girls singing their pretty indie-folk-pop tunes then you will like this (if you don't steer clear of this one). Brenna has assembled a band which is capable of three part harmonies (the other vocals are one girl and one boy), fiddle, glockenspiel, cello, bass , more guitar, bass, harmonica, and melodica. That sounds like there is a lot of potential for some good music. I hear that Karli Fairbanks is going to be big. The show is FREE.

So there you have the Weekday Edition of my live local music picks. As always come up and say "Hi" if you see me at any of

these shows.

-Ben


BoomSnake play the Tonic Lounge on Wednesday
photo by g0analogbaby

No comments: