I went to PDX Pop Now 2008! This weekend. Lord I love those things. I can't go into much detail right now (time constraints), but I want to tell you what bands stuck out in my mind. Without looking at a schedule or anything the ones that jump out at me were Nurses, Sweater!, Loch Lomond, StarFucker, Wooden Indian Burial Groud, World's Greatest Ghosts, Experimental Dental School, Grouper, Rainbow and The Kittens (guerella show), and White Fang. All of these bands played awesome sets. I you missed them, then you missed out.
This week we got a lot of good shows too.
Monday, July 28th
These are noteworthy:
- I am playing a show in Y La Bamba with Nick Caceres and Wampire at Someday Lounge. Biased? Yes, but AI think this will be one of the better shows tonight. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
- Pink Widower is playing a show at Valentine's with Babydollars, and Ralf Youtz. It is a going away party for Ralf Youtz. You may remember him as the original drummer for Built to Spill. Or more likely, you remember him as the lead guy in Ape Shape. Either way, he is leaving town to educate him self in San Franscisco. But before he goes he is having this show which will have his Portland Covers album (his thank you to the city) available. The show will be FREE and start sometime after 9 PM.
- At the Artistery, Pwrfl Power (Brooklyn), will be playing a set as will Neighborhood Stars and Why Must I Be Careful?. I have heard a lot of good things about Pwrfl Power form good people, and I enjoyed the guerella set Why Must I Be Careful Played at PDX Pop. So I would say it is pretty safe bet that this will be a good show. The show will be $6 and is ALL AGES. The music starts at 8 PM.
Tuesday, July 29th
These are noteworthy:
- Someday Lounge is having Colt Vista, Cars & Trains, Ilyns Ahmed with Grouper,and Gay Deceivers all play a show. I have seen Colt Vista play and enjoyed their blend of post-rock and electronica. I have also seen and loved Cars and Trains beat making and melody layering skillz. And I just saw and loved grouper at PDX Pop. So I highly recommend this show. It is $5 at the door. The shows starts at 9 PM.
- Its the last Tuesday of the month, which means its time for Pix Pattisserie's Guitar Pix with Super XX Man. This month he will have John Vecchiarelli play. Good good stuff. In other Super XX Man news, the other week at Tender Loving Emopire, I saw the art work to his forth coming album. It looks awesome. Good FREE and ALL AGES stuff. It will start at 8 PM.
- Holocene is hosting the Thao & The Get Down Stay Down show with Horse Feathers and Harper Simon (LA). I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Thao Nguyen and her band. Plus I love me some Horse Feathers. This will be a great show. It will cost you $8. The show starts at 9 PM.
So that is the first two days. I will have more later. But if you see me at these, please come and say "Hi".
Horse Feathers plays Holocene on Tuesday. Nice.