Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 30th and 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

More shows this week. Check it.

Wednesday, July 30th

There are some really good shows tonight. Like this:

  • Someday Lounge is having a show with former North-Westerner Pwrfl Power. I have heard many things about him, most of them good. The cool thing is that there are a couple local acts to open up. namely, Ah Holly Fam'ly and Dragging an Ox Through Water. I still have not seen Ah Holly Fam'ly, but I love Dragging an Ox Through Water. His set at PDX Pop was awesome, assuming you like really experimental folk. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Holocene is having a show with Titus Andronicus (Glen Rock, NJ), Faunts (Edmundton, CA), Sad Horse, Hot Victory, and Rob Walmart. My friend was telling me that Titus Andronicus sounds kind of like if Desaparecidos had made a second album. Sad Horse makes loud fast music with plenty of starts and stops. Hot Victory is like a drum solo if the drum solo was actually a drum duo (which is what they are). This should be a really cool show. The show is $8 and stars at 9 PM.
  • Towne Lounge is having a show with two good Seattle bands and one good Portland band. The two Seattle bands are Aqueduct and BOAT. Both make really good indie pop music. The local band is Graves who also make really good indie pop music. If you a fan of that kind of music (really good indie pop), then you should check out this show. It is $8 at the door. The music starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, July 31st

There are some really good shows on Thursday

  • Towne Lounge is having a really cool show with three awesome Portland acts: The Friendly Skies, The Unit Breed, and Grey Anne (of Per Se). I know that both The Friendly Skies and Grey Anne both make very good use of looping pedals. Though The Friendly Skies make moody post rock, and Grey Anne makes playfully wordy songs with a amazing use of vocal layers. I don't know much about The Unit Breed but I hope to find out. The show is $5 and the doors are at 9 PM.
  • Backspace is having a show with BoomSnake, Sam Cooper, and Chase Pagan (Wynne, AS). I recently purchased the BoomSnake CD, Give and Take, and really like it. I want to se them play. I have not seen or heard much of the others, but I have seen Sam Cooper's name around. This show is $5 and starts at 8 PM.
  • The Doug Fir is having San Francisco's Or, The Whale play a show with our own Bark Hide and Horn, Power of Country (both who recently played sets at PDX Pop Now!), with Sacremento's Silver Darling. I really enjoyed Bark Hide and Horns indie pop rock set due to all of the various instruments that were utilized (including vibes!). The Power of Country didn't actually sound like country music when I saw them play, but it sounds country-ish on their myspace (hmm?). As I recall it was more similar to older punk music. Whatev's. This should be a fun show. The show costs $7. The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Berbati's is having Seattle's Rocky Votolato play with Owen (Chicago) and our Michael Dean Damron. I just wanted to list this show because I am a huge Owen fan. I always have been, probably alsways will be. I should also express that I also very much enjoy Michael Dean Damron who used to play in I Can Lick any Sonofabitch in the House. This show is $10 before the day of the show and $12 at the door. The music starts at 9 PM.

So I hope to see at least a little bit of this music. If you see me at any of these, come up and day "Hi".

-Ben


Bark Hide and Horn play Doug Fir on Thursday. Cool.

3 comments:

Arya said...

hey, you might be confusing pure country gold with power of country who are actually called power of county anyway...

Carla said...

I am glad to see that you are excited to see boomsnake, I have seen them before and can't wait for the show tomorrow. if you end up going, i'll look forward to reading what you post afterwards.

Ben Meyercord said...

I could not make it. :(

Arya-- I think you are right.