Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, February 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday was a long day for me. It started in Sacramento and ended in Portland. There was a period of about four hours where I was driving to Chehalis, WA and back in order to take care of a ticket. I got $450 off. Yay!. I then very very stupidly agreed to work a shift from 5 am to 4 pm today. It was 30 degrees this morning. I was outside. It was terrible. I am pretty tired right now. I have band meetings and a practice this evening. I am already throwing the towel in. But if I were to see a show, here are the ones that look good to me tonight:


Doug Fir is having a show with The Blow and Sonny Smith (San Francisco). The Blow aka Khaela Maricich was one of the first artists I took note of from Portland before I lived there. I recall seeing her play under the name, "Get The Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano". She was doing some acoustic guitar stuff, but she was also doing some near acapella stuff over really old drum machines. Her earnest song stories had me hooked immediately. I think she might have still lived in Oylmpia at the time. She was on tour with Microphones and Calvin Johnson. Then when I moved to Portland I saw her several times. I remember playing kickball with her once at my friends birthday party and how my mind was going crazy with a continual loop "I'm playing kickball with The Blow. Oh my god!". She got more into beats when she collaborated with Jona from Yacht. She got more interested in putting on a show. She treated every performance like a VH1 storytellers session. I loved it. Then she kinda disappeared for a bit. I guess she moved to New York. Technically I normally wouldn't be writing about her no longer living in Portland and all. Some artists will always be Portland to me. She is one of them. Sonny Smith puts the Sonny in Sonny & The Sunsets. I am not familiar with their music. But apparently Sonny is a playwright and author of books. I'll bet his songs are stories too. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.

Goodfoot is having a show with Autopilot is for Lovers, When the Broken Bow, and Jack O' The Clock (Oakland). I think that I have written about Autopilot is for Lovers several times without really knowing what to expect. Has anyone seen them lately? The last time I saw Autopilot it was Adrienne Hatkin solo. She was ambitious and played guitar, accordian, piano, drums, glockenspiel, and banjo. It was impressive. But it is nice to see her with other people. Her songs sound so good with lots of other voices coming in and out of the arrangements. When the Broken Bow is the project of Ali Ippolito. She plays the piano and sings her songs in a sort of swagger that is easy on the ears. I am not hip to Jack O' The Clock, but from what I can tell it would fall under the quirky Americana unbrella. Ths show is at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". But you most likely won't as I will be sleepy Ben by 9 PM.

-Ben


Autopilot is for Lovers will play tonight at Goodfoot.

No comments: