Monday, January 31, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, January 31st

Hello Dear Readers,
Yesterday, on an impulse I went to California to see someone very special to me. It meant that I was awry from the computer all day. I missed shows. Honestly, I don't even know what was happening show wise last night. But here I am in the Sacramento State Campus Library with a bit of time on my hands so I thought I would see what is happening in Anyways, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Ocean Age (Portland/Seattle), Lord Huron, and Sea Bell (Eugene). I hate to lump bands together, but sometimes it just makes sense to have certain bands play together. Such is the case with this show. Ocean Age and Lord Huron both are indie groups that make use of less rock percussion and more don't know…world rhythms. They also both use really nice harmonies. Ocean Age is more of a band and I think that Lord Huron is more of a one man project of Ben Schneider. Though I have heard that live Lord Huron is an actual band. I still consider Ocean Age a Portland band despite two members relocating to Seattle last year. The most recent thing they did was do one of my favorite remixes on the Hosannas People I Know remix thing. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with The Woolen Men, Pigeons, and The Messy Jacksons. The Woolen Men to me remind me of college rock from the 90's. It is good and poppy and has guitars and doesn't sound too slick but comfortable. It is upbeat and fun watch. All of the band members contribute to the songwriting which leads to a lot of rotation. Pigeons released an album of tracks last year that I regrettable have not gotten yet. I think you would like them. They seem to go for the epic indie rock sound. The Messy Jacksons are a bit more modest in their sound and while don't entirely sound messy, they do give a bit of a slacker vibe. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". But you won't cause I am in Sacramento. Sorry.
-Ben

Not really sure why this video was made, but you can see The Woolen Men tonight at Valentine's.

No comments: