Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, February 13th

Hello Dear Readers,

I had an Y La Bamba practice last night, so I did not go to any shows. But I will definitely will be out tonight. You will can read more about that in a second. But I want to say this next week is gonna be kinda crazy for me. I'm not sure how much blogging I will be able to do. So like always I suggest you check out Pc-pdx for any shows happening next week. Anyways, here are the shows that look good tonight:

Ella Street is having a show with Grey Anne, Michael Beach (San Francisco), and The Sarcastic Dharma Society. This bills some of my favorite Portland music peoples. I actually played a show with Grey Anne aka Anne Adams at this very place a long time ago (I believe it was called Towne Lounge back then). It was the first time I remember seeing her play. Up until that point I had only heard "Adelaide", a song that continues to impress me, on the 2004 PDX Now compilation. She is a great songwriter and possibly an even better performer. You can tell that she has put effort in details of her performance often including stories, sets, and sometimes little animal helpers. She mostly plays the guitar but often uses a looping pedal that makes her voice another integral part of her musical set up. Though she will occasionally throw in an accordion or uke for good measure. Michael Beach used to reside in Melbourne. That is a whole other continent yet, it seems he fits right in with what's going on here in the States. The Sarcastic Dharma Dharma is also a great songwriter. He also puts a lot of effort into his craft. The musical arrangements are really well planned out. But they need to be. His band is made up of him on guitar and vocals and Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond on rhodes, glockenspiel, and drums. It is an impressive sight for sure. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a Rock & Roll Prom with The Monarques, Dirty Mittens, and Rocky & The Proms. This is a Prom. I am totally going stag (my girlfriend does not live here). But I think having a date is encouraged. Also encouraged is dressing up in your "fancy" clothes. Maybe have a corsage or butineer or whatever. The Monarques already sound like they should be playing a sock hop, but they will be playing all oldies but goodies. I saw them do it last year. It was super fun. The Dirty Mittens will also be doing some covers. Tonight only, they will have some back up singers helping them out. I am included in that gout as well as Luzelena Mendoza (Y La Bamba), Sean Flinn, and Ezra Carey. We will also be doing some oldies and soul covers. This perfect because I always thought Chelsea the lead singer had some soul in her vocal delivery. I have never seen Rocky & The Proms, but recorded they sound like they were born for this sort of event. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Okay?

-Ben


The Sarcastic Dharma Society is playing at Ella Street. :)

No comments: