Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, February 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I finished recording a little song thing of Meyercord songs. It meant I skipped out on any show seeing. But I think it was worth it. I will keep you posted of what I am going to do with them if anything. But then again maybe not. This isn't a Meyercord blog. It's a music blog. I would never use this blog for my own gain. Oh by the way, have you seen this? Anyways, here are the shows that are happening tonight:

Bunk Bar is having a show with Archers and And And And. This, in my opinion, is a great pairing. First off, I really like both bands. Moving past that, I feel like they also both represent a freshness to the Portland Music Scene. Both are high energy and just absolutely bring it when they play live. Both have more than one songwriters in the band. That being said, they are not the same band. I am not sure if they do it anymore, but I know that it used to be if you sent And And And an email to "hottestmixtapeunderthesun@gmail.com" they would basically send you all of their music for FREE. You should give it a shot. The music is great. Also, I am not sure if I mention is before, but I love Archer's 7". The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Holocene is having The Rumble. This time it is with Harlowe & The Great North Woods, Pigeons, and Letting Up Despite Great Faults (LA). The Rumble is a series of Monthly parties in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Austin, Las Vegas and New York. It usually features one band that goes on touring playing all of these cities, while having a few up and coming local acts open. The best part about these parties is that they do not require you to pay a cover. They are free. Harlowe & The Great North Woods is a band that I heard via my friend Brittain Ashford. They she and some of the members H&TGNW formed a new group called Prairie Empire. She told me I had top check them out. You can listen the Harlowe & The Great North Woods EP online here. When I listened to it, I was very impressed. I love me some well arranged indie-folk. Pigeons is band that I have written about several times. They are good. I have yet to get their album, but the general concensus is that the thing is real good. Letting Up The Despite Great Faults is the touring band for The Rumble. They have been written about on Pitchfork and have been compared to The Postal Service and M83. I guess what people recognize is that it is pop music that has electronic elements, yet is firmly in the indie-pop world. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Pikara, The Double U, and Empty Seas. Pikara is band that I have written about before. They are always kind enough to send us their albums when they release them. Speaking of which, they are releasing a new album tonight. It is called Constellations. You can stream it online here The band is led by Danish/Swedish Sara Johanne and her violin. She has claimed her genre as "Headphone music for the lonely". She rarley plays out. Nor do The Double U, for that matter. That band plays it kinda quirky and have been since 1993. In that time they have put out five full length's. The last one was put out by local label Supermegacorporation in 2007. I bet they have some new stuff up their sleeves. Only one way to find out. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of theses shows please say, "Hi". Or a knowing stare. Perhaps a head nod.

-Ben


Harlowe & The Great North Woods will be playing at Holocene tonight for FREE!

No comments: