Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, February 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday, I cleaned my room instead of going to a show. I picked up the room. I did laundry. I did the dishes. Does that sound lame? Probably. But it was awesome. I feel great. But enough of all the boring details of my life. I wonder if anyone is gonna want to go see a show after the Superbowl. I will (I am not a football watching person). There is one show happening tonight. This is the show:

Rontoms is having a show with Birds & Batteries and The Sarcastic Dharma Society. AristeiA, the heavy instrumental band I used to play in once played with Birds & Batteries a while back in Oakland. I remember liking them. They mixed kinda countryish songs with some synth stuff. I thought it sounded cool. They released an album in October of last year. I have been listening to it this morning. It sounds really good. The guys voice vaguely reminds me of David Bazan. The music is pleasing to my ear. They mix all their collective influences very well. The Sarcastic Dharma Society is a last minute replacement for Yeah Great Fine (they play Doug Fr tomorrow). I could not be more pleased. Mat Vuksinich Not only is ne of my favorite songwriters, but he pays a ridiculous amount of attention to the details of his music. He plays with Padriac Finbar Hagerty-Hammond (a great songwriter in his own right) with a set that has Mr Hagerty-Hammond on drums, rhodes, glockenspiel, and some vocals (often at the same time). The songs are usually sad, but often beautifully so. It seems most times I see them play there is a new song or at least a new arrangement of a song. I am saying it is always a treat. I will be there for sure. You can get the majority of Mat's music for free here. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


The Sarcastic Dharma Society play tonight at Rontoms for FREE!

No comments: