Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, February 5th

Hello Dear Readers,
Yesterday, I tried to be social. I went to two things. Then at about nine I was hit by tiredness. Hard. I was this close to going to a house show that I heard about last minute with Alameda, Mike Midlo, and Run On Sentence. But it didn't happen. Anyways, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Finn Riggins (Boise), Apex Manor (Pasadena), and World's Greatest Ghost. I first heard of Finn Riggins because they were on Tender Loving Empire. This was a long time ago. I first saw them because one of TLE label owner's told me I had to check them out. I did and was really impressed. That is what they do. They play music that is impressive. Their buddies Built to Spill took them on tour last year. That's huge, right? Anyway, they have a strong Portland connection because of Tender Loving Empire and now are taking some TLE friends in the form of World's Greatest Ghost. I absolutely think the WGG is one of Portland's finest. I remember the CD release show as one of the most fun shows ever. It is synth heavy with guitar harmonies and amazing pop hooks. So good. I have not heard Apex Manor, but they are on Merge Records. I am pretty sure that label no longer puts out bad bands. They to me sound like a strong indie band. Really solid. The show is $10 and 9 PM.

Kenton Club is having a show with Why I Must Be Careful, Trawler Bycatch, and Breezin. I really like the energy and craziness that is Why I Must Be Careful. I will write about them whenever they play. The last time I saw them was some time ago, but it was a duo of Rhodes and drums. They absolutely destroyed. It was fearless. Tawler Bycatch sound like fuzzed out psych rock. It leans toward rock. I don't know anything about Breezin. The show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.

The Polo Haus is having a show with Summer Twins (Riverside), Naive Thieves, Orca Team, and Raised by Television. I really like what I have heard of Summer Twins. Female led pop that is not slick but is good. Naive Theives make easy going pop music. It is good. I can see people catching on to them. I just got their album for free right here. I found out about this show because I saw that one of my favorite pop bands in town, Orca Team, are playing. If you have not checked them out. You need to. They play all the time. It shouldn't hard. Raised by Television is a band that umm…well I have no idea what is going on. One song they are electro pop, then they are playing rock music on an acoustic guitar. I guess it is like flipping channels on a TV. The ALL AGES show is by donation for the touring bands and starts at 7 PM.

Sea Shanty is having a show with Lee Corey Oswald, Sleeping in The Aviary (Minneapolis), Archers, and Blandinia. Lee Corey Oswald are releasing a brand new tape. If I not mistaken it will be full of energy and guitars, drums and kinda punky vocals. They have grown a lot in just a few years. I have not seen them live in years, but honestly I bet I would recognize their music if I herd it. I remember them being acoustic guitars at harmonies. Though they always had energy. Sleeping in The Aviary are a pop band that I am not familiar with. They sound really good. I could see becoming a fan. Archers are a pop band from here that I have become a fan of. I got their 7" when I saw them play at Rontoms a while ago. I still listen to it quite regularly. Their song "Door to all Marvels" has become one of my got to jam for any occasion. I love it. The ALL AGES show is by donation and starts at 7 PM.

The Press Club is having a show with Ezza Rose, Boy & Bean, and Cabin Project. Ezza Rose is going to put out her second album soon. I love her voice so much. Check out her myspace which has the song "2%" from that album. It sounds great. Lots of cool instruments and arrangements on that number. She has the live band to back it up. I am not sure how she will be able to fit it in Press Club, but I am sure they will figure it out. Boy & Bean is a swing Jazz band. I you know about this genre, you probably will like this group. If you don't know the genre, it probably isn't your thing. Cabin Project is the new band of Katie Sawicki. I am pretty sure that she played Siren Nation last year. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.


If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Why I Must Be Careful is playing Kenton Club tonight!

No comments: