Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, February 9th

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't go to any shows last night. Here in the light of a new day, I am not sure why. There were some really good ones last night. I don't even remember why I didn't go. Tonight there are some shows:

The Woods is having a show with Cowboy and Indian (Austin), Hello Mtn, and Ari Shine. Texas is known for country and roots music. Cowboy and Indian do a fine job of carrying on that tradition. There are male and female vocals that twist around each other other over guitars in a real nice way. I like their Duet that is posted on their Facebook page. I am a sucker for country duets and this is a good one. Hello Mtn is the newish project for Catherine O'Dell of Horse Feathers. This is her second band the she has led. I miss her previous project Black Heart Moon. Hello Mtn only has clips of songs on her myspace. There are breathy vocals and a lot more strings than her previous project. I am not sure what the other guy in the band does. I know that Cat sings and plays guitar. The sample/tease on myspace seems like there is some promising song ideas. For the band. I m writing because I am curious. Ari Shine is a slick pop act from LA. He is not really my thing, but it is slick. This show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Dante's is having a show with Marcy Playground, The Parson Red Heads, Mark Twain Indians, and Norman. Remember Marcy Playground? Sex and Candy? Yeah well they are still around. They make power pop music. Classic power pop with really good choruses. I honestly was not expecting to like it and yet here I am admitting that I might. I was mostly writing about the show because of Parson Red Heads. I enjoy their peppy country rock. They have all the elements of a country rock a it of twang, pedal steel and a whole lot of vocal harmonies. The Mark Twain Indians sound like a radio ready alternative e rock band. Norman is a roots rock band. I tend to like their softer songs more than their rock songs. I think they are really good at it. Not that they can't do otherwise. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Southpaw, The Shoguns, and John Vecchiarelli. Southpaw are an interesting band. I will tell you right now, there aren't many bands that sound like them. They are a guitar and drums duo creating minimal moody rock music. The singer has a voice in the same ballpark as Tom Waits. I imagine a voice like that is a deal breaker for a lot of folks. The Shoguns say on their myspace page that they sound like "a kick in the teeth". Hmm. John Vecchiarelli is a drummer who happens to write good songs on guitar and piano. I have played a few show with him. I am not let down ever. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Or whatever greeting you think the situation calls for.

-Ben


Norman play Dante's tonight opening up for Marcy Playground. No Joke!

No comments: