Friday, February 11, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, February 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

I didn't go to any shows last night. I practiced with the Dirty Mittens who will be having some back up singers (including myself) join them at Rontoms on Sunday. I will get to that show on Sunday though. Anyways, here are the shows that look good tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with AgesandAges, Billygoat, and Archcape. You do not want to miss this show. The bill is one that is worth getting excited about. Plus it is the AgesandAges album release show for their debut, Alright You Restless. I have seen them live several times now, I think they are great. I very vocal heavy band of great pop tunes. The album itself is really good. Kevin Robinson (Viva Voce) produced the thing and it sounds great. Tonight, I heard that there will be some surprises during their set. Billygoat is an audio visual experience/ band. They have animated several short films and written a score to accompany it perfectly. It is a beautiful pairing of sound and images. I have not seen them with a drummer yet. I heard that it takes the music to another level. Archcape is Rachel Blumberg's band. She is mostly known for her drumming, but this band is really good. It is percussive chill dream pop. I really like it. You have to see them play live, if only to see Michael Kitson doing his "singing, drumming, and bell playing all at once" trick. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Oracle, Natasha Kmeto, and DoublePlusGood. Oracle makes music that reminds me of the late 90's when Trip Hop was a big thing but fronted my a Anthony and the Johnson's type vocal. Or down tempo music. It isn't bad, but not really my cup o tea. Natasha Kmeto is describes herself as "futuristic soul" music. I can totally hear that. Her voice is very soulful. Her music is electro with some nice beats and well.. it just sounds cool. Not generally my thing, but I think it is really good. I wrote about this show because I like DoublePlusGood. I really like their use of sweet synth lines and light beats and memorial melodies. There are a lot of nicely arranged vocal parts that a lot f electro-pop doesn't usually do. I can't get enough. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Langano Lounge is having a show with Szyslak and Team Evil. Szyslak is a rock band. This is their CD release show. They will be handing out CD's at the door. They sometimes have cool guitar parts. But sometimes it gets a little too Neu Metal for me. Team Evil doesn't like them at all> They also have cool guitar part but is pretty jazzy and indie rock and um…light sounding. That band is lead by Skyler Norwood (Point Junture, WA). I like it a lot. They are why I listed the show. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Globe is a show with The We Spilled Milk and Spillway (Seattle). The We Spilled Milk is a band that I want to see. I first heard of them because they share a guitar player with World's Greatest Ghost. And honestly my favorite song of their's, "Drag", sounds like a cross of WGG and Voxtrot (the Austin band RIP). The rest of the songs are good, but none as good. That one song just "does it for me". I want more like that one. Anyway they are playing with Spillway Hey look! They both have "spill" in their name. Neat. Anyeays, Spillway was nice enough to send me their new album, PAM LADN. I like it. They will surely get a lot of Modest Mouse comparisons with the guitar playing. And the lead singers voice sounds a lot like that one dude in Wolf Parade. Who also got compared to Modest Mouse at first. Mostly because Issac Brock produced their first album. But all comparisons aside you should listen to this band. I am not crazy about their name, but I think they could get big. And with them getting song of the week on KEXP, it won't be long. Pay attention to them. They have a FREE DEMO of songs that appear on the new album available here. The show is at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". That is how I like to greet people.
-Ben


AesandAges release their album tonight at Mississippi Studios tonight. Nice!

No comments: