Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, February 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

I went to Mississippi Studios for the AgesandAges show. It was a lot of fun. Arch Cape opened up the show. I was surprised to See Adam Thompson in their ranks. He added some more keyboards, guitar, vocals, and additional drumming. There is a lot going on in their music. And even more so with the new member. Apparently there were four part harmonies worked out though, not all the vocals mics were up so I couldn't hear them. Hopefully next time I will get to hear those harmonies. Next up was Billygoat who played wonderfully. It was the first time that I had seen them with a drummer. It seemed so natural that I can't really imagine them not being there. They also let us know that they are having to change their name to Good Night Bilygoat. Apparently there is another Billygoat band. While the screen was still up there stage there was a surprise screening of the new Alicia Rose directed video of AgesandAges "Navy Parade". It was really well made. Then the band played an excellent set. At the end of the show several members of the audience, myself included, started singing along as part of an organized choir. We then went on the balcony above the stage to perform the singing and additional percussion. We also threw confetti. It was a lot of fun. Anyways, here are the shows that look good tonight:

The Artistery is having a show with Rollerball, Ghost to Flaco, and Mangled Bohemians. I have never seen Rollerball. They have done their thing for a while now and show no signs of stopping. I have had most people refer to it as art rock. All I know is that it is interesting. Ghost to Falco is similarly hard to describe. His music is dark and dramatic. He usually plays in a set of static TVs that are painted to read "Ghost to Falco". Mangled Bohemians like their sometimes tour mates Jackie O Mother Fucker have elements of experimental music and folk music that don't really fit into either category. I have their album "like this forever" on vinyl. I should break that out more often. It's good. The ALL AGES show is $7 and starts at 8 PM.

Holocene is having something called Studio 69 with Soft Metals, Ancient Heat, Miracles Club, and Purple N Green. This is what the Holocene's website said about the show: "With Valentine's Day right around the corner, we're pleased to present our newest dance party, an ultra-sexy retro night entitled "Studio 69"! Come shake that mess around to disco & R&B tunes by some of Portland's finest! We'll be showcasing two brand new live acts: Purple 'n' Green, the earnest and smooth-as-silk R&B collaboration between Justin Green and Adam Forkner (White Rainbow/We Like Cats), and Ancient Heat, an awesomely epic 9-piece classic disco band. A live set by Soft Metals, the beloved Italo disco-inspired charmers, plus a sure-to-be-stellar DJ set by house outfit The Miracles Club round out the bill. On a night this full of magic....you just might meet your valentine!". I wrote about the show mostly because I like what I have heard from Soft Metals. I The show is $3 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Hey Marseilles (Seattle), Sean Flinn & The Royal We, and Joseph Giant (Seattle). I have played with Hey Marseilles before as part of Y La Bamba. They make huge sounding indie-pop. They employ strings (violin and cello), and they have a accordion player. I am pretty sure that is why they had Y La Bamba in the first place (we have an accordion player too). Sean Flinn & The Royal We is a band that I spent the better part of a year singing with. I think the songs are great. He crafts his songs like a pro. His album Write Me a Novel has a lot of my favorites by him. Joseph Giant is a guy who makes kinda folky music. It is good. I want to find out more about him. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Okay?
-Ben


Ghost to Falco is playing at Artistery tonight.

No comments: