Monday, August 10, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for August 10th and 11th

Hello Dear Readers,

What are you doing right now? Ewww. What you should be doing is checking out all these bands that are playing shows in the next couple days:

Monday, August 10th

Valentine's is having a show with Sea Caves and Pep Assembly. Sea Caves is a band I keep hearing about but have yet to see. My friends have said good things. I listened to a little but and it sounded good. They use their guitars well. Liam K. of Pep Assembly has played in pop bands in Portland for a while now (most notably in The Snuggle Ups and Pocket Parade). Pep Assembly is his latest outfit and remains firmly rooted in his pop roots. I have yet to see them, but they are obviously on my list of bands to see live. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Fag Rag Missoula), BloodBiker, and Hammer of Hathor. I will level with you. I don't know much about these bands. There is not a whole lot going on music-wise so it might be worth checking out. I know that Hammer of Hathor has a least on member of the Evolutionary Jass Band. So that helps them get on my radar. Pc-Pdx.com says that Fag Rag is homoerotic dance noise from Montana. Sounds interesting. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.


Tuesday, August 11th

Valentine's is having a show with Ocean Age, Secret Codes, and Metal. I haven't seen Ocean Age yet, but I kinda really want to. I have almost seen them on a number of occasions, but have hey to actually see them play. The closet I got was at the album release show for Church. That night I was show hoping though and just missed their set. I did pick up their EP though. Then I lost it. Then I found it again this morning and listened to it. It sounds good. Plus David Kyle is pretty awesome if you like kinda post-rock electronic music with some Eastern instruments thrown in the mix. Metal is quiet is the URL for the Metal myspace page. It is appropriate for the drone duo. They make very pretty music and I have been meaning to pick up their latest album (out on Vinyl, CD included) for quite some time. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

The Waypost is having a show with The Ocean Floor, The Firs of Prey and Die Geister Beschworen. All of these bands are about to embark on a tour of California together. I am jealous of California because this is a great tour. Though I am not too familiar (i.e. at all) with Die Geister Beschworen, I know that if these other two terrific bands have selected them as tourmates speaks volumes. Right? Both The Ocean Floor and Firs of Prey make really good post-whatever pop music. This is their tour kick off show. So give them some love. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Canoe and Johan The Angel. I don't add that many bands that request to be my friend on myspace. Most of the time if I am not feeling your band, I will just leave you in limbo (I will not add you or deny you). Canoe was a band that I actually added. Just Sayin'. Their friends in Johan the Angel claim to be epic folk. I have not heard them, but that sounds pretty cool. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts promptly at 6 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Hollow Hymnal and Eggplant. Recently Chad Palme (pronounced palmy) played a solo show. He promised that it would be less awkward when he plays with a band. I for whatever reason believe him. Though even at a much lower rate of awkwardness, he will still make you wonder about him. That being said, the songs really are good. The show is $2 and starts at 9 PM.

Berbati's is having a show with Mark Twain Indians, The Valley Arena (Long Beach, CA) and Oh Captain My Captain. All I am saying for this one is that Oh Captain My Captain kinda rules it. They have a new line up and they are proud to show it off. The show is $5-7 and starts at 9 PM.

So if you you see out. Say, "Hi". You would be a fool not to.

-Ben



The Ocean Floor kicks off his tour on Tuesday at the Waypost. Cool, right?

No comments: