Monday, August 3, 2009

Ben Meyercor's Live Music Picks for August 3rd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did what I always plan on doing, but rarely carry out said plan. I went to more than one show. I started the night at Local Cut's Portland Makes Music and was able to catch an awkward interview with Casey Jarman and Leonard Mynx and Audie Darling followed by some good performances by Eza Rose and Chad Palme (hats off to Chad for being the only person more awkward than Casey Jarman), followed by a great performance by Black Heart Moon. I will be honest. I am as usual pretty biased in my opinion. This time because Luz Elena and I (both from Y La Bamba) sang some backing vocals on Black Heart Moon's last song. Then we hurried over to Rontom's just in time to catch all of Church's set for their album release party. I picked up their new album "Song Force Crystal" on very very pretty colored vinyl LP. Stoked (but am kinda bummed I missed Ocean Age). Anyway I think it is a slow day as far as shows go today.

Monday, August 3rd.

Edgefield is having a show with Skip vonKuske ( of Cellotronik) and Justin Power. Let me break it down. Justin Power is great. I like his songs and he seems to be a cool dude. Edgefield is kinda far out there, but hey. Whatevs. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 7 PM.

East End is having a show with The Pink Snowflakes, Groggs (Santa Cruz/San Francisco, CA) and La Fiesta. I am only familiar with The Pink Snowflakes. But man the one time I saw them it was great. It is kinda like mid era Flaming Lips Psych Rock. Which is to say it is pretty cool. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me out and about. Say "Hi" and I will reply.

-Ben


The Pink Snowflakes play tonight at East End. Bubbles!

No comments: