Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for August 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

What's haddenin'? There is some good stuff happening. See:

Tuesday, August 4th

Rock Bottom Brewery is having a show with Meyercord and Grey Anne. This Heart Will Burn Right Out is a cool entity. It serves as a website that promotes good Portland bands by posting interviews and podcasts, and free mixes and such. In addition to that THWBRO creator Hoyt Emerson has started curating Tuesday Nights at Rock Bottom Brewerey. Guess what. Today I am playing one of them as Meyercord. So is Grey Anne. I am super excited as this gives me a chance to show off the new Meyercord "lineup" (Perry Pfister of Black Heart Moon on stand up bass). Plus I think the world of Anne's musical endevors as a writer and a performer. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Aladdin is having a show with Frank Black (he was in that Pixies band). I will admit that I don't like Frank Black's solo output as much as the Pixies, but...I mean, he lives in Portland now, so it is now Portland music. The ALL AGES show is $20 and starts at 8 PM.

Worksound is having a show with Castanets (Brooklyn, PDX, San Diego), Evolutionary Jass Band, Adam Gnade and Ohioan. I know a lot of people like Castanets I think it's 'aight. But what I really like is Ohioan. I have never seen it live but every time I hear it, I am really impressed. The ALL AGES show is $ and starts at PM.

Holocene is having a show with Tara Jane O'Neil, Marisa Anderson and DJ Zach Reno. It will also be a screening of Dear & Yonder , a movie about girls surfing and such. It looks pretty cool. Rumor has it that there will be some art involved as well. The show is $10 and starts at 7 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Panther,123 Knife, and Tanning. I have heard of and could not find any information about the other bands. Panther always surprises me. Every album he puts out is really different. This last one has added the element of the piano. It sounds pretty good. The show is by donation and starts at 9 PM.

Say "Hi" to me if you go to my show,

-Ben


This is an example of the fun of a Grey Anne show. She is playing tonight at Rock Bottom Brewery.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ben -

blah blah blah guess what?

CHECK THIS OUT:

I started a facebook of my clear sales.

A dude contacts me about it. He says he's moving from Brooklyn to Portland by mid August... He wants to do cross promo shit blah blah mentions PDX Pop Now! -- meanwhile I have no idea what he is talking about.

I email back:
Sounds good how did you find me (abbreviated conversation)

he comesback with:

OMG YOU KNOW MY WIFE CHANTELLE HYLTON!

what!??!??!

Ben Meyercord said...

Wife? How did we miss that one?