Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music for August 25th

Hello Dear Readers,

I have been back in town for three days and have seen soooo much good music that I haven;t even had time to blog it. Let me make a short list of some of the highlights: A Weather, Point Juncture WA, AAN, Black Heart Moon, Grey Anne, Morning Telportation,The Dandy Warhols, Matt of the Sarcastic Dharma Society, plus I got to play my music twice. So much fun. Anyways, here is what is happening today.

Tuesday, August 25th

Holocene is holding a Benefit for Kris Jensen featuring the music of: YACHT, Au, Copy and May Ling "Following the tragic death of Kris Jensen, mother of Rachael Jensen from the Parenthetical Girls, the generous Portland music community set up an all-star benefit for her memorial fund". So this is an amazing show regardless. But the fact that some actual good beyond just having a great time is very appealing to me. I really do like all of these bands a lot (except for May Ling, because I have not heard too much of her stuff). There is a sliding scale cover of $5-15. Or if you cannot make it but still want to help out you can do so here The show starts at 8:30 PM. The show starts at 8:30 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Pikara, Dash! and Xh. All of these are great bands. I thought that Dash! was exceptional during his PDX Pop Now! performance this year. Also it this is the CD release show for Pikara. I have a copy of the album and it really does have some downwright beautiful moments. This is what the press release said, "Pikara is the first solo effort from Swedish multi-instrumentalist Sara Dyberg (Susurrus Station, Zouaves, Dead Cinema). The nine tracks that comprise the self-titled album are explorations of short moments in time drawing influences from Scandanavian folk music, Bergman films and Greek rembetika. The album evokes images so vivid it could easily be mistaken for the score of a movie yet unfilmed." I am pretty sure Xh is good. I have never seen them, but I know I have listed them before. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.


Doug Fir is having a show with The Hugs, Low Red Land (San Francisco), Appomattox, and Yeah Great Fine. I think that The Hugs make perfect garage pop. I am sometimes inclinded to like such a genre. I also remembering hearing and liking Low Red Land on a compilation of Bay Area artists a while back. And Yeah Great Fine really are, for lack of a better word, great. The show is $6 amd starts at 9 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Chewing Pics (Brooklyn, NY), My First Earthquake and Soft Tags. I just spent a week in Yellowstone with a broken ipod. The only CD I had with me was the new EP by Soft Tags based loosely around the diaries of Nikola Tesla. It was a pleasent if short listen that I repeated many times. The show supposedly starts at 8 PM and costs $3.

So say "Hi" if you see me and have a voice. Otherwise you are just plain mean.
-Ben


AU, over there. Go to the Holocene tonight.

No comments: