Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for August 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

There is a lot of good music going on tonight. For real. I am planning on trying out the whole show hopping prospect again. I went all right last time I tried it. Anyway, here are the shows I am interested in seeing.

Thursday, August 6th

Spectre is having a First Thursday show with Y La Bamba. It is in The Goldsmith Building. I think most of you know that I play in Y La Bamba. I think we are pretty good. We kinda have a folkish wound. But we mix pop and some old timey arrangements (including many three part harmonies) in there as well. But I think I should mention what will be on the walls around us. First Thursday is an art event after all. There will be photographs by Leah Verwey, Gregory Lancaster, and Kelly Goode. These are all associate photographers for Campbell Salgado. This is a show of what they do on their free time. Speaking of which, I think the show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Tender Loving Empire is having a First Thursday show with art by Edward Juan and Santiago Uceda. The reason I am writing this is because Gratitillium and Come Gather 'Round Us are playing the event. Gratitillum plays crazy weird music that is fun to watch. I have not hear of Come gather 'Round Us until recently. But I have heard good things. They are originally from another place other than USA. They make music reminiscent of 60's folk music. A lot of harmonies. The show is FREE and starts at 7:30 PM.

Nest Lounge is having a show with Rian O'Hara, Gregory Miles Harris and Tommy Suitcase. I think this same show happens every on a regular basis. Though I don't remember what that schedule might be. I know that I have never made it out to the event but I want to. I like all their songs, though Gregory seems to stand out a bit more (in one man's opinion). It is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

The Artistery is having a show with Kelli Schaefer, Drew Grow & The Pastors' Wives, No More Train Ghosts and Ted. I have been very impressed with Kelli and Drew since I first saw them play. Honestly I don't know why they aren't huge. Or at least bigger. And from what I hear they often collaborate. Neat. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 7:30 PM.

Hotel Deluxe is having a The Fabulous Stains screening: Black Heart Moon. I think that the Top Down series is such a cool series of shows. I love seeing bands play live. I love seeing movies outdoors. This series of shows provides me with both. What a combo. Black Heart Moon play very pretty music which includes Horse Feather's cellist Katherine O'Dell, Meyercord bassist Perry Pfister, Carcrashlander guitarist David Dyas, and tonight Hello Loneliness drummer Dan Galucky. The ALL AGES show as I recall costs some money ($8?) and starts at sometime after 8 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Nurses, Inside Voices and Slaves. It is the CD release show for Nurses new album "Apple's Acre". I love Nurses. I also love Inside Voices. I have heard good things about Slaves. These would be peculiar loves were they not all bands. I think that this is an exceptional show. I am going to try with all my heart to be there. The show is $7 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Scott Kelly, Dragging an Ox Through Water and Bird Costumes. This is a weird line up. Scott Kelly is from the heavy band Neurosis. Under his own name he plays Neurosis-esque music on an acoustic guitar. It is weird.Dragging an Ox Through Water is really good experimental music that normally juxtaposes noises and weird sounds with traditional song structures. I love it. Bird Costumes is a guy who makes experimental music whilst sometimes wearing a bird's head mask. I have wanted to see him play for quite some time. The show is $12 and starts at 8 PM.

Ash Street Saloon is having a show with From The Petrified Forest, AAPOAA, X Ray Press (Seattle) and With Eyes Abstract. This is a show that represents some of the other kind of rock that Portland has to offer that is not folk based or indie rock based , but rather instrumental based or mathy music, or kinda heavy even. The show is $5 and starts at 9:30 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, please let me know that you see me by saying "Hi".

-Ben


Dragging an Ox Through Water plays tonight at Mississippi Studios. Cool.

No comments: