Friday, March 13, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for March 13th to March 15th

Hello Dear Readers,

I could have sworn that I had included yesterday in my last post. It really is a shame cause I meant to list the show I played at a House called the Arctic Circle Pit with His Name Shall Breathe. He was so good. He certainly knows his way a guitar. And knows how to write a song. I was looking forward to see how he was going to pull off his songs. On his album a lot of his songs flow into one another. He did the same last night except this time he had help from Blake and Nicole Hooper (of Day of Lions) singing some very nice harmonies. Plus they played a couple of their own tunes. The night ended with a rare performance of The Indigo Boys who do covers/mash up covers of popular 90's female lead bands. It was pretty interesting, and very funny. Anyway, here is what is going on this weekend show wise.

Friday, March 13th

Oh Captain My Captain is having a show at their house with a band that rhymes with purses. I would check out 14th and Division if you are interested in this show (and you should be).

Backspace is having an amazing show with Parenthetical Girls, No kids, East Burn is having a show with Reclinerland and Shoeshine Blue. I like both of these dudes song's. The show is $ and starts at 10 PM.

Chaos Cafe is having a show with New Century Schoolbook, Hearts and Minutes, Treva Jackson. Amber (Dawn) shout alert. New Century Schoolbook is pretty fun to see. The ALL AGES show is FREE.

The Grind Coffee House is having a show with Generifus (Seattle/Olympia), Shelby Sifers, Temple Vibe (Seattle), We Play Quiet (Vancouver, WA). Shelby Sifers is so good. This ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 7 PM.

Saturday, March 14th

Mississippi Studios is having a sweet ass show with Loch Lomond, The Old Believers and Brothers Young. This is an awesome line up. Seriously, check out the links. This show is $12-14 and starts at 7 PM.

Doug Fir Lounge is host to a really good show featuring Portugal. The Man, We're from Japan, Themes and Dr. Helicopter. I love me some WFJ! I laso have been hearing good things about Themes (they are also currently band space with me). This show is $10-12 and starts at 9 PM.

East End is having a show with Past Lives (Seattle), White Circle Crime Club (Belgium), Vanishing Kids and Mega Church. Past Lives were Blood Brothers in a uhhh...past life. Also I want very much to attend a MEGA*CHURCH mass. This show is $8 and starts 9 PM.

Rotture is having an edition of Supernature with Supernature: Copy, Hooliganship, E*RockM and DJ BJ (of Atole). I love Copy so much. I am not really into dance music. This is one of the exceptions. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

East Burn is having a show with Audie Darling and Monique Full of Grace. Both of these lovely ladies are pretty great. I think the show is FREE. The show is at 10 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Hearts and Minutes, The Brightest Comet and Moments in Static. The Brightest Comet is the very good side project of WFJ!. Hearts and Minutes has Vince, ex- AristeiA and current CIMTB model. There is a FREE show with 9 PM.

Kelly's Olympian is having a show with The Jezebel Spirit, Hearts and Minutes and Moments in Static. These bands use a lot of pedals. And again, ex- AristeiA and current CIMTB model Vince. The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.

Sunday, March 15th

Worksound is hosting the Portland Round 7. There will be music by Sallie Ford (aka Down South Sallie), Poetry by Lisa Wells, and art from Jeremy Okai Davis. This is amazing. Sallie is so good, and Jeremy is so good. I am unfamiliar with Lisa Wells, but it looks real good. The show starts at $5-7 and starts at 8 PM.

There is also a house show that will serve as a benefit show for Y La Bamba to go to SXSW. It will be all the bands that comprise Y La Bamba including Make Nice, Secret Codes, and Meyercord. Kelli Schaefer will also play. She is always great. There might even be a performance of Y La Bamba. You can email me if you want the address. The show will probably have a cover (it is a benefit), but it will probably be cheap it starts at 7 PM.

This is what looks good to me this weekend. So say "Hi" if you see me, or I might say it to you first.

-Ben


We're From Japan! (not actually from Japan, though to be fair they have visited) is playing on Saturday at Doug Fir